Constant Velocity = positive net force? But how to write it?

In summary, the concepts of velocity, acceleration, and force can be confusing when discussing lifting a mass at a constant velocity. The formula for work, W=F*d, remains the same regardless of velocity, and the force on a stationary object is the same as the force on an object with a constant velocity. The only time the force changes is during periods of acceleration or deceleration.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Lifting a 20lb bucket of sand a distance of 100 ft at a rate of 2ft/s. I would assume:

[W=F*d] = [W = MA*d] = [W = M(v/t)*d] and at a constant velocity: rate of v/t=0 so

[W = M(0)*d] = [W = 0*d] = [W = 0]

However, a video online shows that you'd take 20lb*100 ft = 2000 ft lbs of work.

Then I realize I am getting confused between lb_mass and lb_force

So my question is, what is the value of acceleration in F = (mass)((distance/time)/time) that let's F have a value?

If I'm holding a 20lb bag of sand and gravity is pulling down at g, does that just mean that I'm lifting a mass with an acceleration equal and opposite of the value of gravity? So if gravity is value -g, then if I'm just holding a bag of sand in a stationary position, then the force is [F = (20lb_mass)(g)], while the Work is [W=20lb_mass(g)*d = 0]

So if the bag of sand is being lifted at some constant velocity, how do I express the force of this: F= (mass)(g+(some velocity)? The acceleration of gravity doesn't change, its always 9.8m/s^2, but the upward lift now must be some value greater than the downward force of gravity. I'm confused about how the formula of F=MA at zero velocity differs from F=MA at
a constant velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

Lifting a 20lb bucket of sand a distance of 100 ft at a rate of 2ft/s. I would assume:

[W=F*d] = [W = MA*d] = [W = M(v/t)*d] and at a constant velocity: rate of v/t=0 so

[W = M(0)*d] = [W = 0*d] = [W = 0]

However, a video online shows that you'd take 20lb*100 ft = 2000 ft lbs of work.

Then I realize I am getting confused between lb_mass and lb_force

So my question is, what is the value of acceleration in F = (mass)((distance/time)/time) that let's F have a value?

If I'm holding a 20lb bag of sand and gravity is pulling down at g, does that just mean that I'm lifting a mass with an acceleration equal and opposite of the value of gravity? So if gravity is value -g, then if I'm just holding a bag of sand in a stationary position, then the force is [F = (20lb_mass)(g)], while the Work is [W=20lb_mass(g)*d = 0]

So if the bag of sand is being lifted at some constant velocity, how do I express the force of this: F= (mass)(g+(some velocity)? The acceleration of gravity doesn't change, its always 9.8m/s^2, but the upward lift now must be some value greater than the downward force of gravity. I'm confused about how the formula of F=MA at zero velocity differs from F=MA at
a constant velocity.
You are apparently quite confused about several concepts. For one, acceleration is not force. For another, moving at constant velocity does not mean v/t = 0. It does mean that dv/dt = 0, i.e. the acceleration is zero.

Your notation also borders on being incomprehensible. Whatever do you mean by:
[W=F*d] = [W = MA*d] = [W = M(v/t)*d]

[W = M(0)*d] = [W = 0*d] = [W = 0]​
?

Question rewritten:

Homework Statement

[W=F*d] = [W = MA*d] = [W = M(v/t)*d] = [W = (M((d/t)/t))*d] and at a constant velocity: the rate of d/t=0 would yield:

[W = M(0/t)*d] = [W = M(0)*d] = [W = 0*d] = [W = 0]

However, a video online shows instead that you'd take 20lb*100 ft = 2000 ft lbs of work.

Then I realize that maybe I am getting confused between lb_mass and lb_force

So my question is, what is the value of acceleration (or how is it expressed) in the formula [F = (mass)((distance/time)/time)] when a mass is being lifted at a constant velocity (on earth)?

If I'm holding a 20lb bag of sand and gravity is pulling down at g, does that just mean that I'm lifting a mass with an acceleration equal and opposite of the value of gravity? So if gravity is value -g, and I'm just holding a bag of sand in a stationary position, then would the force be expressed as [F = (20lb_mass)(g)], and the Work expressed as [W=20lb_mass(g)*d = 0]?

If so, then if the bag of sand is being lifted at some constant velocity, how do I express the force of this in a formula? Would it be something like: F= (mass)(g+(some constant velocity)? The acceleration of gravity doesn't change, its always 9.8m/s^2, but the upward lift now must be some value greater than the downward force of gravity. I'm confused about how the formula of F=MA at zero velocity differs from F=MA at
a constant velocity.

wait wait, i think i got it. It would be the same in either case! Since there is no acceleration in either case, the force on the stationary bag is the same as the force on the the bag with a constant velocity. F=(mass)(9.8) and the only way that would change is during the times of speeding up and slowing down, in which case it would just be [F=M(g+(some more acceleration)]

The velocity is constant.

The acceleration is zero.

The net force is zero.

What is the concept of constant velocity and positive net force?

Constant velocity refers to an object moving at a consistent speed in a straight line. Positive net force, on the other hand, refers to the overall force acting on an object in a specific direction. When an object experiences a positive net force, it will accelerate in the direction of that force, potentially changing its velocity.

How is constant velocity related to positive net force?

Constant velocity and positive net force are directly related. An object can only maintain a constant velocity if there is no net force acting on it. If there is a positive net force, the object will accelerate, and its velocity will change.

What are some examples of constant velocity and positive net force?

An example of constant velocity and positive net force would be a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight, flat road. The car's engine is providing a positive net force to maintain the constant velocity. Another example would be a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed. The gravitational force from the Earth provides a positive net force to keep the satellite in orbit.

Can an object have a positive net force and still maintain a constant velocity?

No, an object cannot have a positive net force and maintain a constant velocity. If there is a positive net force, the object will accelerate, changing its velocity. In order for an object to maintain a constant velocity, there must be no net force acting on it.

How can we calculate the positive net force on an object at constant velocity?

The positive net force on an object at constant velocity can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion: F = ma. This equation states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. If the object is moving at a constant velocity, then its acceleration is 0, and therefore the net force must also be 0.