Is a Heptagon Constructible with Straightedge and Compass?

• Thread starter saadsarfraz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of angles and its relation to the constructibility of polygons. The focus is on proving that a 7-gon is not constructible by showing that x=2(pi)/7 is not constructible. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding a rational quartic polynomial and a cubic rational polynomial related to cos x.
saadsarfraz
constructible angles-->help please

Homework Statement

x=2(pi)/7 we will show that this is not constructible and therefore 7-gon is not constructible.

a) show cos4x = cos3x
b) Use the above equation to find a rational quartic polynomial f(y)
where f(cos x) = 0.
c)From f, find a cubic rational polynomial g(y) where g(cos x) = 0

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

im having trouble in part b). i expanded cos4x - cos3x = 0 in terms of cos(x) and I made the substitution y= cos(x) i got the quartic equation 8y^4 + 4y^3 - 8y^(2) -3y + 1 =0.
but when i put y= cos(2(pi)/7)) it dosent come out to 0.

Physics news on Phys.org

You found cos 4x + cos 3x instead of minus. LOL, I made the same error.

oh right it should be -4 and +3 in the above equation, thanks billy do u know how to change this into a cubic equation.

Try long division? Divide by y-c, where c is a root of the quartic. Hopefully c is easy to find, by graphing, or guessing.

i tried doing that the root is 1 so i divided it by y-1 I am getting 8y^3 + 4y^2 - 4y +7 + some remainder?

oh i got it, thank you

1. What are constructible angles?

Constructible angles are angles that can be created using only a straightedge and compass, without any additional tools or measurements.

2. How do I construct an angle using a straightedge and compass?

To construct an angle, first draw a line using the straightedge. Then, place the tip of the compass on one end of the line and swing it to create an arc. Without changing the compass width, place the tip on the other end of the line and draw another arc. The intersection of the two arcs will be the vertex of the angle. Finally, use the straightedge to connect the vertex to the other two points on the line to complete the angle.

3. What is the difference between a constructible angle and a non-constructible angle?

A constructible angle can be created using only a straightedge and compass, while a non-constructible angle cannot. Non-constructible angles require additional tools or measurements to construct.

4. Are all angles constructible?

No, not all angles are constructible. In fact, most angles are non-constructible. The only angles that are constructible are those that can be created using a finite number of steps with a straightedge and compass.

5. Why are constructible angles important?

Constructible angles are important in mathematics and geometry because they help us understand and solve problems related to constructions, such as constructing regular polygons and finding the angle bisector of a given angle. They also have applications in fields such as architecture and engineering.