Creating a Real and Negative Function from the Square Root Equation

• Thread starter redtree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a function that gives a real and negative value for y when x<0, while still maintaining a magnitude of sqrt(x). The individual has been struggling to find a solution and has ruled out using absolute value and sign functions. Various solutions utilizing complex numbers and trigonometric functions are also discussed, but the individual is looking for a continuous function without absolute values and sign functions. Some potential solutions are suggested, but it is ultimately concluded that a piecewise defined function may be necessary to achieve the desired outcome.
redtree
THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION, BUT I AM POSTING HERE ANYWAY.

Given the equation

y = sqrt(x)

I'm trying to construct a function that instead of being imaginary when x<0, gives a value for y which is real and negative but whose magnitude is still sqrt(x).

I've been going around in circles trying to model the function. I know there has to be a simple answer, but I'm not finding it.

Physics news on Phys.org
y2= -x or y=-√-x

but I am not good at modeling functions

I'd like the function to give positive real values for y when x>0 whose magnitude is sqrt(x).

You've already well-defined the function (we know its value for each input). If you want to furthermore put it into x and y symbols, simply define it explicitly. Ie.,
[tex]f(x) = \left\lbrace\begin{array}{ll}\sqrt{x}, & x\geq 0\\ -\sqrt{-x}, & x < 0\end{array}[/tex]
is a well-defined function.
If you don't like explicitly branched functions, make use of pre-defined branched functions:
[tex]
f(x) = \operatorname{sgn}(x)\sqrt{|x|}
[/tex]
is the same function.

That I know how to do. I'm looking for a continuous function without absolute values and sign functions.

redtree said:
THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION, BUT I AM POSTING HERE ANYWAY.

Given the equation

y = sqrt(x)

I'm trying to construct a function that instead of being imaginary when x<0, gives a value for y which is real and negative but whose magnitude is still sqrt(x).

I've been going around in circles trying to model the function. I know there has to be a simple answer, but I'm not finding it.

redtree said:
That I know how to do. I'm looking for a continuous function without absolute values and sign functions.

Don't you see there's an obvious contradiction in your initial post, and last post?

And btw, we here do not solve homework, or whatever problems given to you! That's your task, not ours! We are not paid a single penny for it!

We only give guide to ones who are stuck, and really seeking for help; not for ones that command us to solve the problem for them. Be more polite, and we'll be the same to you.

Now, show your work! What have you tried, and how far did you get?!

First of all, this is not homework.

Second of all, there are any number of discontinuous solutions and any number of solutions that utilize sign and absolute value functions. I apologize that I didn't note in my original post that those are not solutions that I am looking for.

Other examples of solutions:

y = sgn(x)*sqrt(e)^ln(abs(x))
y = for x >= 0, sqrt(e)^ln(x), for x<0, sqrt(e)^ln(-x)

Etc.

The point is that I'm trying to avoid these types of solutions.

Sorry if that seems "grumpy."

Another solution that I am trying to avoid is a complex number where the real portion gives the result I want. There are also lots of versions of solutions based on complex numbers.

Example:

y = sqrt(x) * (1+i)

Another solution (that I also want to avoid):

y = sqrt(x) * (1+i) - abs(sqrt(x))*i

My feeling is that the answer lies with versions of the trigonometric functions, such as arctan, but I haven't been able to derive the solution.

Any function that gives a negative value whose magnitude is sqrt|x| for a negative argument has to be equivalent to [itex]-\sqrt{(-x)}[/itex] for x < 0. I am sorry to inform you, you cannot find such a function that avoids the things you are trying to avoid. Slider142 has given two valid answers. Any others will be equivalent to these.

Another is

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{rl} \frac{x \sqrt{|x|}}{|x|} & x \neq 0 \\ 0 & x = 0 \end{array}[/tex]

What about something like [tex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/tex]?

Bohrok said:
What about something like [tex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/tex]?

I came up with something similar earlier today. The problem is with definition at 0. Using a piecewise discontinuity removal:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rl} \frac{x}{\sqrt[4]{x^2}} & x \neq 0 \\ 0 & x = 0 \end{array}[/tex]

This avoids as much as possible the use of absolute value and signum, but it remains a piecewise defined function.

--Elucidus

Last edited:
redtree,
Do you want a function that looks exactly like sqrt(x) or something else?

Related to Creating a Real and Negative Function from the Square Root Equation

1. What is a function in scientific terms?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where one variable is dependent on the other variable(s). It can be represented as an equation or a graph and is used to describe and predict the behavior of a system or phenomenon.

2. How do you construct a function?

To construct a function, you need to determine the independent and dependent variables and their relationship. Then, you can write an equation or create a graph to represent the function. You can also use data points to create a table and plot them on a graph to visualize the function.

3. What are the components of a function?

A function has three main components: the input variable(s), the output variable, and the rule or equation that relates the input to the output. The input variable is also known as the independent variable, while the output variable is the dependent variable. The rule or equation is what determines how the input and output are related.

4. How do you know if a function is linear or nonlinear?

A linear function has a constant rate of change and can be represented by a straight line on a graph. Nonlinear functions, on the other hand, have a varying rate of change and cannot be represented by a straight line. They may have curves, bends, or other patterns on a graph.

5. What are some real-life examples of functions?

Functions can be found in many aspects of our daily lives. Some examples include calculating the distance traveled given a constant speed, determining the amount of interest earned on a bank account over time, and predicting the growth of a population based on birth and death rates. Other examples include the relationship between force and acceleration in physics and the relationship between temperature and pressure in chemistry.