Help with Understanding Real and Non-Real Roots

• Thread starter Tyler Smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
I did not consider this as I was just trying to derive the value of c that would result in real roots. Thank you for pointing this out.
Tyler Smith

Homework Statement

[/B]
For which values of c, cER, will the equation j(x) = c have real roots?

Homework Equations

j(x) = 2x^2 - 8x + 5

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand I need to get this into the form of b^2 - 4ac, yet I do not understand why this is important and such. From my understanding, if we make the answer greater than or equal to 0, the roots are real, and if we make it smaller than, the roots are negative. As I don't understand the concept of real roots beyond this, I don't know where exactly to start. This is a question from an exam from a few years ago and I could do everything apart from this for some reason. This was just never explained to me before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Understanding how to complete the square, I come to 2(x-2)^2 - 3. I've used this for functions so this part all makes sense, in order to get the simplified form of the function, yet I am still confused as to how this is useful in finding c.

if 2(x-2)^2 - 3 = c
2(x-2)^2 - 3 - c = 0 or something like 2(x-2)^2 = c + 3

Yet where does the discriminant come into play? As far as I understand, it is easier to apply the quadratic formula before completing the square as the equation is already in the form of ax^2 + bx + c.

Likes Logical Dog
Tyler Smith said:
Understanding how to complete the square, I come to 2(x-2)^2 - 3. I've used this for functions so this part all makes sense, in order to get the simplified form of the function, yet I am still confused as to how this is useful in finding c.

if 2(x-2)^2 - 3 = c
2(x-2)^2 - 3 - c = 0 or something like 2(x-2)^2 = c + 3

Yet where does the discriminant come into play? As far as I understand, it is easier to apply the quadratic formula before completing the square as the equation is already in the form of ax^2 + bx + c.

sorry friend, i was addressing the "why" aspect of your post as best as I know. I think you can answer the question by using what you already posted. This is the discriminant:

[itex] {b^2-4ac} [/itex] these are the conditions

[itex] {b^2-4ac} = 0 [/itex] (repeated root)

[itex] {b^2-4ac} > 0 [/itex] (two distinct real roots)

Through the derivation of the formula we can see why it must be true..

Last edited by a moderator:
So relooking at the link I find the part where the part that is now the only part with x's is equal to what becomes, with simplification, the root, and because the root has to be positive/negative, we can say that:

2(x-2)^2 - 3 = c
2(x-2)^2 = c + 3

The second part being what we are looking for.

So if we want a positive root

c + 3 > 0
c > -3

Or we need a negative root

c + 3 < 0
c < -3

Is this all correct? And if so, thank you I understand now. If not then woops.

Edit : I posted all of this before you revised your second post so my reply my seem a bit confusing

Tyler Smith said:
So relooking at the link I find the part where the part that is now the only part with x's is equal to what becomes, with simplification, the root, and because the root has to be positive/negative, we can say that:

2(x-2)^2 - 3 = c
2(x-2)^2 = c + 3

The second part being what we are looking for.

So if we want a positive root

c + 3 > 0
c > -3

c + 3 < 0
c < -3

Is this all correct? And if so, thank you I understand now. If not then woops.

Edit : I posted all of this before you revised your second post so my reply my seem a bit confusing

I do not think it is correct, try plugging in the values for a and b in the formula and then finding c under the conditions

[tex] {b^2-4a(5 - c)} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] {b^2-4a(5 - c)} > 0 [/tex]

If we look at the formula before completing the square, j(x) = 2x^2 - 8x + 5 = c, if I input the values that I previously worked out they somehow appear to be correct.

If we input these values into the square, such that c > -3, for example, -2.

j(x) = 2x^2 - 8x + 5 = -2
2x^2 - 8x + 7=0

If we sub these into b^2 - 4ac

8^2 - 4(2)(7)
64 - 56 = 8, therefore positive root.

And we sub a value lower than -3, for example -4, we get:

2x^2 - 8x + 5 = -4
2x^2 - 8x + 9 = 0

64 - 4(2)(9)
64 - 72 = -8, negative, therefore negative root.

If we use -3 itself, we end up with 0. Unless I did something wrong in these calculations I think what I previously stated was correct.

We can also see this as:

b^2 - 4ac
64 - 4(2)(5 + c) = 0

64 = 4(2)(5 - c) c is negative as it is brought from the left side of the equation before using the discriminant.

What does c have to be to make the equation balanced? -3.

64 = 4(2)(5 + 3)
64 = 64

Therefore if c is higher than -3, the solution and therefore root is positive.
And if c is lower than -3 the solution and therefore root is negative.

Tyler Smith said:
If we.
sorry, you are right, :sorry: my mistake for not paying more attention.

Likes Tyler Smith
Seriously thank you for all the help, I finally get this stuff :)

Likes Logical Dog
Tyler Smith said:
if we want a positive root
You don't mean positive or negative root. If the discriminant is positive there are two real roots. If it is negative there are two complex roots. If it is zero there is one real root.

Likes Tyler Smith
Ahah, I see. My mistake. Thank you for the clarification.

1. What is the difference between real and non-real roots?

Real roots are solutions to an equation that can be represented by a real number, while non-real roots are solutions that involve imaginary numbers. In other words, real roots are on the number line, while non-real roots are not.

2. How do I know if a quadratic equation has real or non-real roots?

The discriminant, which is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign (b^2-4ac), can determine whether an equation has real or non-real roots. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two real roots. If the discriminant is negative, the equation has two non-real roots. If the discriminant is zero, the equation has one real root.

3. Can a quadratic equation have both real and non-real roots?

Yes, it is possible for a quadratic equation to have both real and non-real roots. This can occur when the discriminant is positive, meaning there are two real roots, and one of the roots is a non-real complex number.

4. How do I solve an equation with non-real roots?

To solve an equation with non-real roots, you can use the quadratic formula, which involves taking the square root of a negative number. This will result in a complex number in the solution. You can also graph the equation to see where it intersects the x-axis, which will indicate the real and non-real roots.

5. Why are non-real roots important in mathematics?

Non-real roots, also known as complex roots, are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations that have no real solutions. They also have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. Additionally, they help us understand the behavior of equations and functions, and their relationships to the real world.