Construction of real gamma matrices

In summary, it is possible to construct gamma matrices satisfying the Clifford algebra {γμ,γν}=ημν that are *real*, for η=diag(−1,1,1). Furthermore, the gamma matrices must be even dimensional for d=2+1.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
Can I construct real gamma matrices in 2+1 dimensions?
Hi!

Is it possible to construct gamma matrices satisfying the Clifford algebra ##\{\gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu \} = \eta^{\mu \nu}## that are *real*, for ##\eta = diag(-1,1,1)##?

I know that I can construct them in principle from sigma matrices, but I don't know how to construct real gamma matrices..

And also, do the gamma matrices necessarily have to be 3-dimensional for d=2+1?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Greger said:
Summary:: Can I construct real gamma matrices in 2+1 dimensions?

Is it possible to construct gamma matrices satisfying the Clifford algebra {γμ,γν}=ημν that are *real*, for η=diag(−1,1,1)?

Yes, viz:
[tex]
\gamma^0 = i \sigma^y, \qquad \gamma^1 = \sigma^x, \qquad \gamma^2 = \sigma^x.
[/tex]

John Greger said:
Summary:: Can I construct real gamma matrices in 2+1 dimensions?

And also, do the gamma matrices necessarily have to be 3-dimensional for d=2+1?
The gamma matrices are always even dimensional. In d space-time dimensions, the smallest representation has dimension 2^floor(d/2).

king vitamin said:
Yes, viz:
[tex]
\gamma^0 = i \sigma^y, \qquad \gamma^1 = \sigma^x, \qquad \gamma^2 = \sigma^x.
[/tex]The gamma matrices are always even dimensional. In d space-time dimensions, the smallest representation has dimension 2^floor(d/2).
Hi and thank you very much for responding.

But then I will still have i's in the matrices such that they are not real?

May I also ask, on the right hand side the metric is still a 3x3 matrix, but on left hand side the matrices are 2x2, can we really have that?

The matrices are all real:
$$\gamma^0=\mathrm{i} \sigma_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}, \quad \gamma^1=\sigma_1=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}, \quad \gamma^2=\sigma_3 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\-1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
They form the Clifford algebra of the space with the fundamental form of signature ##(2,1)##, i.e.,
$$\{\sigma^{\mu},\sigma^{\nu} \}=2 \eta^{\mu \nu}=\mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1).$$
These are all ##2 \times 2## matrices of course.

Likes John Greger
Thank you very much for clarifying. Mabye stupid question, but is it really possible to have a LHS and RHS of different matrix dimension?

All matrices involved are ##2 \times 2## matrices.

John Greger said:
Thank you very much for clarifying. Mabye stupid question, but is it really possible to have a LHS and RHS of different matrix dimension?

Think of it like this:

$$\{\sigma^{\mu},\sigma^{\nu} \} = 2 \eta^{\mu \nu} I,$$

where ##I## is the ##2 \times 2## identity matrix, and the ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## are the components of the ##3 \times 3## matrix ##\eta = \mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1)##.

1. What are gamma matrices used for in physics?

Gamma matrices are used in physics to represent the spin of particles and to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. They are also used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles.

2. How are real gamma matrices constructed?

Real gamma matrices are constructed by taking a set of complex gamma matrices and combining them in a specific way to produce a set of real matrices. This is typically done using the Dirac representation, where the real gamma matrices are formed from the product of the complex gamma matrices and their Hermitian conjugates.

3. What is the significance of the Clifford algebra in the construction of real gamma matrices?

The Clifford algebra is a mathematical structure that is used to construct the gamma matrices. It allows for the manipulation and combination of the complex gamma matrices to produce the real matrices needed for physical applications. It also provides a framework for understanding the properties and relationships between the gamma matrices.

4. Are there different ways to construct real gamma matrices?

Yes, there are multiple ways to construct real gamma matrices, each with their own advantages and applications. Some common methods include the Dirac representation, the Weyl representation, and the Majorana representation. These different constructions can be used to simplify calculations or to highlight certain properties of the gamma matrices.

5. How are real gamma matrices related to other mathematical structures?

Real gamma matrices are closely related to other mathematical structures, such as the Pauli matrices and the Dirac algebra. They are also connected to the concept of spinors, which are mathematical objects used to describe the spin of particles. Understanding these relationships can provide insights into the properties and applications of real gamma matrices in physics.