Constructive Interference Problem in the Time Domain

In summary: So what is the phase of the two waves at their constructive interference?In summary, two waves on a string, Y1 (x,t) = 4cos(20t-x) and Y2 (x,t) = -4cos(20t+x), interfere constructively when their superposition |Ys| = |Y1 + Y2| is at its maximum. When t = ∏/50 seconds, the phase of the two waves is 2∏/5 and the maximum amplitude occurs at x = 0, which is the location of constructive interference. This can be seen by considering the amplitude of two sinusoidal functions that
KasraMohammad

Homework Statement

Two waves on a string are given by the following functions:
Y1 (x,t) = 4cos(20t-x)
Y2 (x,t) = -4cos(20t+x)
where x is in centimeters. The waves are said to interfere constructively when their superposition |Ys| = |Y1 + Y2| is a maximum and they interfere destructively when |Ys|
is a minimum.

if t = ∏/50 seconds, at what location x is the interference constructive?

Homework Equations

No particular equation relevant as far as I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

So to get a constructive interference, the summation of the two waves(|Y1 + Y2|) must be the largest possible. I plugged in the value for time, and got this simplified equation for Ys:

Ys = |4[cos(2∏/5 - x) - cos(2∏/5 + x)]|

Now i know |Ys| must be the largest it can be, and the only way i can think of of approaching this is constructing a X-Y table and seeing if there is a trend in the values, though I feel there must be an easier way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
KasraMohammad said:

Homework Statement

Two waves on a string are given by the following functions:
Y1 (x,t) = 4cos(20t-x)
Y2 (x,t) = -4cos(20t+x)
where x is in centimeters. The waves are said to interfere constructively when their superposition |Ys| = |Y1 + Y2| is a maximum and they interfere destructively when |Ys|
is a minimum.

if t = ∏/50 seconds, at what location x is the interference constructive?

Homework Equations

No particular equation relevant as far as I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

So to get a constructive interference, the summation of the two waves(|Y1 + Y2|) must be the largest possible. I plugged in the value for time, and got this simplified equation for Ys:

Ys = |4[cos(2∏/5 - x) - cos(2∏/5 + x)]|

Now i know |Ys| must be the largest it can be, and the only way i can think of of approaching this is constructing a X-Y table and seeing if there is a trend in the values, though I feel there must be an easier way to do this.

Yes, there is an easier way. If you add two sinusoidal functions that are in phase, what is the maximum amplitude that you can get?

y = Asin(∅) + Bsin(∅)

What is the amplitude of y?

So it's the same situation when you have constructive interference...

Related to Constructive Interference Problem in the Time Domain

1. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency combine to produce a larger wave. This happens when the peaks and troughs of the waves align, resulting in an increase in the amplitude of the resultant wave.

2. What is the time domain?

The time domain refers to the representation of a signal or wave in terms of time. In other words, it shows how the signal changes over time. This is in contrast to the frequency domain, which shows how the signal is composed of different frequencies.

3. How does constructive interference occur in the time domain?

In the time domain, constructive interference occurs when two or more waves arrive at the same point in space at the same time and add together. This results in a larger amplitude wave, as the individual waves reinforce each other.

4. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

The main difference between constructive and destructive interference is the result of the combination of waves. In constructive interference, the waves add together to produce a larger amplitude wave, while in destructive interference, the waves cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude.

5. How is constructive interference problem resolved in the time domain?

To resolve a constructive interference problem in the time domain, the individual waves must be analyzed and their amplitudes and arrival times must be adjusted. This can be done through techniques such as phase shifting or adjusting the distance between the sources of the waves.