1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact Pressure Vs Traction Vs Deformation in a wire

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A .1in aluminum wire is being pulled from a coil between 2 1in steel rollers. One roller is fixed to the driving motor while the other roller is loaded with a force to provide traction. What is the maximum force that can be applied before the wire is plastically deformed by the traction roller? What is the maximum traction force the system is capable of using the maximum force on the traction roller before deformation? Does this traction force exceed the tensile strength of the wire? The coefficient of static friction is assumed to be .61 and the material will yield at 18000PSI.

2. Relevant equations
    I assume that Spherical Contact equations should be used

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated the maximum tension allowed in the wire but I am not able to figure out the maximum force applied to the wire before deformation radially. My guess is the principle stress in the z direction should be less than 18000PSI but I am also not sure of this.

YIELD STRENGTH 18000 PSI
    CROSS SECTIONAL AREA (in²) 0.007853982 in²
    ULTIMATE YIELD STRENGTH 141.3716694 lb

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Many of those who might be able to assist you on this forum will not be familiar with the equations, so please post them. Please be sure to define the variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted