Are Neopets Contests Promoting Problematic Behavior?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, there are concerns about the social value of contests on a virtual Pet site called Neopia, which includes a recent contest involving a stationary orbit problem. There have been issues raised about gambling on the site and some members have expressed discomfort with helping with these types of contests. Wikipedia has an entry about Neopia and there have been past instances of questionable behavior by members in relation to these contests. The community encourages members to report any potentially problematic posts.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I have noticed a couple of problems in the homework area that would seem to be of dubious social value.

They relate apparently to contests being run in Neopia - a virtual Pet site that apparently has recently asked a stationary orbit problem as a part of a contest to win "Neopoints" or something like that.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=245408
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=245617

I must say that I am happy to help on occasion actual students that are grappling with actual problems, but this seems to be less comfortable.

Wikipedia has an entry about Neopia and there are some issues about gambling that have been raised about their contests and games of chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets

Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You can also use the Report button to notify us of potentially questionable posts if you encounter more of them that we don't see (with so many homework threads, we really do rely on all the extra eyes of our members to find problems and report them).

I think asking for help with a puzzle from a kids site is fine, but it looks like there is a problem with some of the people asking.

1. What types of contests are typically run in Neopia?

There are a variety of contests that are regularly run in Neopia, including customization contests, writing contests, art and design contests, and game tournaments. There are also seasonal and holiday-themed contests, as well as special contests sponsored by Neopian shops and businesses.

2. How do I enter a contest in Neopia?

To enter a contest in Neopia, you typically need to create or submit your entry through the designated contest page or forum thread. Some contests may also have specific rules or requirements for entry, such as using certain items or following a specific theme. Make sure to read the instructions carefully before submitting your entry.

3. Can I enter multiple contests at once?

Yes, you can enter multiple contests at once in Neopia. However, keep in mind that some contests may have rules or restrictions on the number of entries you can submit. Additionally, it's important to prioritize the contests you want to enter and make sure you have enough time to create or submit high-quality entries.

4. How are winners chosen in Neopian contests?

The criteria for choosing winners in Neopian contests may vary depending on the specific contest. Some contests may have judges who evaluate and select the winners based on certain criteria, while others may use a voting system where the Neopian community can vote for their favorite entries. In either case, the winners are typically announced on the contest page or forum thread after the contest has ended.

5. Are there any prizes for winning a Neopian contest?

Yes, there are often prizes for winning a Neopian contest. Prizes can range from Neopoints and rare items to exclusive avatars and trophies. The specific prizes for each contest will be listed on the contest page or forum thread, so make sure to check before entering. Additionally, some contests may also have runner-up prizes or participation prizes for those who didn't win but still submitted entries.