Continuity and Differentiability

In summary, the function f(x) = sin ∏x/(x - 1) + a for x ≤ 1, f(x) = 2∏ for x = 1, and f(x) = 1 + cos ∏x/∏(1 - x)2 for x>1 is continuous at x = 1, with the values of a = 3∏ and b = 3∏/2. The limit as x approaches 1 from both sides is equal to 2∏.
RandomGuy1

Homework Statement

f(x) = sin ∏x/(x - 1) + a for x ≤ 1
f(x) = 2∏ for x = 1
f(x) = 1 + cos ∏x/∏(1 - x)2 for x>1

is continuous at x = 1. Find a and b

Homework Equations

For a lim x→0 sinx/x = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating the two limits, x →1+ and x→1- to each other and to 2∏. Didn't work.
Maybe I something wrong, don't have any clue on how to proceed now. Can I get a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
First let's get the notation straight. By sin ∏x/(x - 1) + a, do you mean $$\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{x - 1} + a?$$
And then 1 + cos ∏x/∏(1 - x)2, is that $$1 + \frac{\cos(\pi x)}{\pi(1 - x)^2}$$ or $$1 + \frac{\cos(\pi x)}{\pi} (1 - x)^2?$$

Anyway, you should be able to find the limit as ##x \to 1## for both parts separately. For example, try showing that
$$\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{\sin \pi x}{x - 1} = - \pi.$$

As you have already correctly remarked, continuity of f implies that
$$\lim_{x \to 1} f(x) = f(1) = 2 \pi$$
so you should then choose a and b such that these values are equal to ##2\pi##.

Likes 1 person
Oops, sorry, it was [1 + cos∏x]/{[∏(1 - x)2}

I put x = (1 - h) and as you said got lim x → 1- = a -∏
and lim x → 1+ = ∏/2 + b.

Thus, I got a = 3∏ and b = 3∏/2, which happen to be the right answer. Thank you!

What is continuity?

Continuity refers to the smooth and unbroken nature of a function. A function is considered continuous if there are no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

While continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point. A function can be continuous without being differentiable, but it cannot be differentiable without being continuous.

How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its limit at a given point is equal to the function's value at that point. In other words, the left and right-hand limits must exist and be equal to each other.

What are the conditions for a function to be differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function must be smooth and have no sharp turns or corners.

What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability, but not a sufficient one. This means that a function must be continuous in order to be differentiable, but being continuous does not guarantee differentiability.