Continuity (intermediate value theorem)

In summary, the equation x^{2}(cos(x))^{n}+xsin(x)+1=0 has an infinite amount of solutions for any natural number n, due to the periodic nature of the equation and the intermediate value theorem. This can be shown by considering the values of x for which cos(x) = 0 and sin(x) = 1, and using the intermediate value theorem to prove that f(3\pi/2 + 2k\pi) < 0 < f(\pi/2 + 2k\pi) for any positive integer k.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let n be a natural number.
Prove that the equation: [tex]x^{2}(cos(x))^{n}+xsin(x)+1=0[/tex] has an infinite amount of solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I named that equation f(x)=0 and I said that f(a)<f(0)<f(b) and that f(a) x f(b) < 0.

Should I choose n=1 and chose a=0 and b=pi ? I know that the equation is a period equation so it will have an infinite amount of solutions, but I'm not sure how to show it because I've only been dealing with equations that want you to show there is at least one solution in [a,b]. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: consider the values of [itex]x[/itex] for which [itex]\cos(x) = 0[/itex]. What does [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] equal for these values of [itex]x[/itex]?

jbunniii said:
Hint: consider the values of [itex]x[/itex] for which [itex]\cos(x) = 0[/itex]. What does [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] equal for these values of [itex]x[/itex]?

When cos(x)=0 then sin(x)=1 for values in the form of x= pi/2+2kpi

So then we could have : f(3pi/2) < f(0) < f(pi/2) ??

mtayab1994 said:
When cos(x)=0 then sin(x)=1 for values in the form of x= pi/2+2kpi
OK, and what about [itex]x = 3\pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]?

So then we could have : f(3pi/2) < f(0) < f(pi/2) ??
Are you asking me, or telling me? What does f(x) reduce to when [itex]x = \pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]? How about when [itex]x = 3\pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]?

jbunniii said:
OK, and what about [itex]x = 3\pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]?

Are you asking me, or telling me? What does f(x) reduce to when [itex]x = \pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]? How about when [itex]x = 3\pi/2 + 2k\pi[/itex]?

Don't mind me I've had a really long day i wanted to say x=pi/2+kpi.

Ok this is what i got: f(pi/2)=pi/2+1 and f(3pi/2)=1-3pi/2 so we can say that:

f(3pi/2) < 0 < f(pi/2) am i correct?

mtayab1994 said:
Ok this is what i got: f(pi/2)=pi/2+1 and f(3pi/2)=1-3pi/2 so we can say that:

f(3pi/2) < 0 < f(pi/2) am i correct?

Yes, that's right. Now you can apply the intermediate value theorem.

You can argue similarly for [itex]f(3\pi/2 + 2k\pi)[/itex] and [itex]f(\pi/2 + 2k\pi)[/itex], for any positive integer [itex]k[/itex].

jbunniii said:
Yes, that's right. Now you can apply the intermediate value theorem.

You can argue similarly for [itex]f(3\pi/2 + 2k\pi)[/itex] and [itex]f(\pi/2 + 2k\pi)[/itex], for any positive integer [itex]k[/itex].

Alright I've got it thanks for your help.

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states if a function is continuous on a closed interval, and takes on two values, then it must also take on all values between those two values on the interval.

2. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in real life?

The Intermediate Value Theorem has many applications in real life, such as in engineering to ensure the existence of solutions to equations, in economics to show the existence of equilibrium points, and in physics to prove the existence of certain physical quantities.

3. Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to discontinuous functions?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions. If a function is not continuous on a closed interval, then the theorem does not hold and it cannot be used to prove the existence of a certain value.

4. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem related to the concept of continuity?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a direct result of the definition of continuity. A function is continuous if it does not have any breaks or gaps, and the Intermediate Value Theorem shows that a continuous function must take on all values between any two points on its interval.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using the Intermediate Value Theorem?

One common mistake is assuming that a function is continuous without actually checking its continuity. Another mistake is using the theorem on a function that is not defined on a closed interval. It is also important to remember that the theorem only guarantees the existence of a value, not its exact location or value.