Continuity of an inverse function

In summary, the student was unable to find a counter example of a continuous 1-1 function whose inverse is not continuous.
ohreally1234

Homework Statement

Prove that the a continuous function with compact domain has a continuous inverse. Also prove that the result does not hold if the domain is not compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the epsilon delta definition of continuity but didn't get anywhere.
This is supposed to be a pretty standard proof in any real analysis book but unfortunately the one I'm using has it listed as an exercise...

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to add that the function is 1-1 to your premises. I'll give you a hint as to why you need compactness by giving you the usual counterexample f:[0,2*pi)->R^2 defined by f(x)=(cos(x),sin(x)). Why does that show the result doesn't hold without compactness?

Hmm, how do I prove the first part (that it is continuous)

Think about it. Suppose f:X->Y. A function is continuous if for every convergent sequence in X, x_n->x that f(x_n)->f(x). f^(-1) is continuous if for every convergent sequence y_n->y in Y that f^(-1)(y_n)->f^(-1)(y). You want to show f^(-1) is continuous given f is continuous, 1-1, and X is compact. Hint: define x_n such that f(x_n)=y_n. Does the sequence x_n have a limit point? Why?

Dick said:
First, you need to add that the function is 1-1 to your premises. I'll give you a hint as to why you need compactness by giving you the usual counterexample f:[0,2*pi)->R^2 defined by f(x)=(cos(x),sin(x)). Why does that show the result doesn't hold without compactness?

But isn't f(x) = (cos(x), sin(x)) not a 1-1 function (because it's a circle)?

ohreally1234 said:
But isn't f(x) = (cos(x), sin(x)) not a 1-1 function (because it's a circle)?

No. Why? Show me two values of x that map to the same value of (cos(x),sin(x)) in the domain [0,2*pi).

oh sorry, i also forgot to add that
f:[a,b] => R
I got the continuity part down (your hint really helped!), but I'm having trouble with the compact part.

ohreally1234 said:
oh sorry, i also forgot to add that
f:[a,b] => R
I got the continuity part down (your hint really helped!), but I'm having trouble with the compact part.

What kind of 'trouble with the compact part'? You are given that the domain is compact, you don't have to prove it.

I'm having trouble with giving a counter example of a continuous 1-1 function f:[a,b] => R whose inverse is not continuous (does it even exist)?.

ohreally1234 said:
I'm having trouble with giving a counter example of a continuous 1-1 function f:[a,b] => R whose inverse is not continuous (does it even exist)?.

You won't find one for f:[a,b]->R. [a,b] is compact. You are going to have to be more creative and pick a non-compact domain.

If the domain is non-compact, does such a function exist?

ohreally1234 said:
If the domain is non-compact, does such a function exist?

Yes. Pick the domain X to be [0,1) union [2,3]. Notice the open end on the first interval. Can you define a SIMPLE function f:X->R whose inverse isn't continuous? Concentrate on using the open endpoint.

sorry I am stumped... i tried playing with functions such as f(x)=1/(x-1) but I am not sure what to do

Try f(x)=x on [0,1) and f(x)=x-1 on [2,3]. Since I just gave that to you, for free, you have to explain to me why it works. Is it continuous? What's the range? Is it 1-1? Finally give me a formula for the inverse (like the one for f) and tell me why it's discontinuous.

ooo that makes so much more sense:
range of f is [0,2] but the inverse f^-1: [0,2] => [0,1) U [2,3] is clearly discontinuous at x=1.

thanks so much

Sure, but can you help a little more next time, and show some more of approaches you have tried?

What is the definition of continuity of an inverse function?

The continuity of an inverse function refers to the property of a function and its inverse to have the same continuity. In other words, if a function is continuous at a point, its inverse will also be continuous at the corresponding point.

What is the importance of continuity of an inverse function?

The continuity of an inverse function is important in understanding the behavior of functions and their inverses. It helps in determining if a function and its inverse are well-behaved and have predictable outputs for given inputs.

How is the continuity of an inverse function related to the continuity of a function?

The continuity of an inverse function is directly related to the continuity of a function. If a function is continuous, its inverse will also be continuous. However, if a function is not continuous, its inverse may or may not be continuous.

Can a function and its inverse both be continuous at a point?

Yes, it is possible for a function and its inverse to both be continuous at a point. This occurs when the function and its inverse are both continuous and one-to-one, meaning each input has a unique output.

How can the continuity of an inverse function be tested?

The continuity of an inverse function can be tested using the continuity test, which states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point equals the value of the function at that point. This test can be applied to both the function and its inverse to determine their continuity at a specific point.