Show Continuity of F(x) in Lebesgue Integrable f [a,b]

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: I'm not sure what you're trying to say. In summary, the author discusses how to show that F(x+h)-F(x)-->0 for any x in [a,b], using the Lebesgue dominated convergence theorem.
math8
Let F(x) = Integral from a to x of f dt (a belongs in [a,b])
How do we show that F(x) is continuous? (f is Lebesgue integrable on [a,b] )

Physics news on Phys.org
Write

[tex]F(x+h)-F(x)=\int_a^b\chi_{(x,x+h)}f(t)dt[/tex]

for h>0, and

[tex]F(x+h)-F(x)=-\int_a^b\chi_{(x+h,x)}f(t)dt[/tex]

for h>0, and use Lebesgue Dominated Convergence theorem to show that F(x+h)-F(x)-->0.

That's an interesting thought. I would have considered

[tex]F(x+h) - F(x) = \int_x^{x+h} f(t) \, dt[/tex]

quasar987, thanks but I don't see how the DCT shows that F(x+h)-F(x)-->0. I know that
lim integral =integal lim
but does lim K(x+h,x)*f(t) tends to 0? If yes, why?

math8 said:
quasar987, thanks but I don't see how the DCT shows that F(x+h)-F(x)-->0. I know that
lim integral =integal lim
but does lim K(x+h,x)*f(t) tends to 0? If yes, why?

As far as I understand the limit of the indicator function will tend to 0 which in return will make the integral 0.

Well, make it an exercice to show that for any x in [a,b],

[tex]\chi_{(x,x+h)}\rightarrow\chi_{\emptyset}[/tex]

([itex]\chi_{\emptyset}[/itex] is just the function that is identically 0).

In a way, Hurkyl's way is swifter if you know that in a finite measure space X (such as [a,b] with the Lebesgue measure), for any [itex]1\leq r\leq s\leq +\infty[/itex], [itex]L^s(X)\subset L^r(X)[/tex]. Because then you can just write

[tex]|F(x+h)-F(x)|\leq \int_x^{x+h}|f(t)|dt\leq||f||_{\infty}(x+h-x)\rightarrow 0[/tex]

Well, I was just thinking about the mean value theorem for integrals. But either way, things become a little trickier when f isn't bounded near x...

Scratch what I said about Hurkyl's idea.

1. What is the definition of continuity for a function in Lebesgue integrable f [a,b]?

The function f is continuous on [a,b] if for every ε > 0, there exists δ > 0 such that for all x,y in [a,b], if |x-y| < δ, then |f(x)-f(y)| < ε.

2. How is continuity of a function in Lebesgue integrable f [a,b] different from continuity in Riemann integrable functions?

In Riemann integrable functions, continuity means that the limit of the function as it approaches a certain point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In Lebesgue integrable functions, continuity means that the function is almost continuous, meaning that it is continuous except for a set of measure 0.

3. Can a function be Lebesgue integrable but not continuous?

Yes, a function can be Lebesgue integrable but not continuous. A function can be discontinuous at a finite number of points and still be Lebesgue integrable.

4. How does one prove continuity of a function in Lebesgue integrable f [a,b]?

To prove continuity of a function f on [a,b], one must show that for every ε > 0, there exists δ > 0 such that for all x,y in [a,b], if |x-y| < δ, then |f(x)-f(y)| < ε. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and using the properties of Lebesgue integrable functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of Lebesgue integrable functions and continuity?

Lebesgue integrable functions and continuity have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. In physics, Lebesgue integrable functions are used to model physical phenomena, such as the movement of particles. In engineering, they are used to analyze and design systems. In economics and finance, they are used to model and predict market trends. Continuity is also important in real-life applications because it ensures that there are no sudden changes or disruptions in a system, making it more stable and predictable.