Continuity of g(x,y) = (xy)^1/3

  • Thread starter Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
pergradus
Messages
137
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Show if the function g(x,y) = (xy)1/3 is continuous at the point (0,0)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm a bit confused. When I take the limit as (x,y)->(0,0) I get that L = 0, and the function is equal to 0 at (0,0), but when I plot the function in maple, it seems as if there is a discontinuity along the line x =0 and y = 0. I am ultimately trying to show if the function is differentiable at (0,0). Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your calculations are correct. The function is continuous.

Many function graphers cannot handle the cube root well, which is likely the reason that it doesn't show up nice in maple.