1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity on L^1 spaces

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    Question:

Prove that if [itex]f \in L^1(\mathbb{R},\mathcal{B},m)[/itex] and [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is fixed, then [itex]F(x):=\int_{[a,x]}f\mbox{d}m[/itex] is continuous. Where [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] is the Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra, and [itex]m[/itex] is a measure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2
    I was hoping to use the following definition:

A function [itex]f[/itex] is continuous if for any sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] such that

[tex]x_n \rightarrow x[/tex]

then

[tex]F(x_n) \rightarrow F(x)[/tex]

Does this sound like the right approach?

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

Maybe. Can you show that [itex]\int_a^b+\int_b^c=\int_a^c[/itex], and then that as xn->x, [itex]\int_{x_n}^x f dm[/itex]->0?

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4
    Im not sure that would help. But what do I know!? :uhh:

I was thinking that to show that F(x) was continuous I would do something like this:

1) Fix [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and let [itex]x_n[/itex] be a sequence that converges to x as n approaches infinity. You know, all the regular proof setting up stuff.

2) Use the Dominated Convergence Theorem to show that the sequence [itex]F(x_n)[/itex] converges, and finally get something like

3) [tex]\int_{[a,x]}f_n\mbox{d}m = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_{[a,x]}f_n\mbox{d}m[/tex]

Hence showing that

[tex]F(x_n) \rightarrow_{n\rightarrow\infty} F(x)[/tex]

So basically I think using the D.C.T. is essential here. What does anyone think of this method?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  6. Sep 18, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

I'm guessing the f_n are functions that are equal to f everywhere except in (x_n,x), where they are 0. So you need to show that the integral from [a,x_n] of f is equal to the integral over [a,x] of f_n, and that the integrals of the f_n converges to the integral of their limit, f, which you can do using the dominated convergence theorem, bounding the |f_n| above by |f|. Sounds good. My suggestion was just to show that the error (the integral over [x_n,x] of f) goes to zero as x_n goes to x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?