Continuity, vector function, inverse

In summary, the homework statement is that f is continuous and satisfies a certain equation. It is easy to show that f is injective, but it is not clear how to prove the surjectivity. It is also not clear why x_i can't be bounded. However, boundedness is not necessary for the surjectivity to be proved. There is another way to show that f is open, using the generalization of Jordan's curve theorem.
boombaby

Homework Statement

f:Rn->Rn is continuous and satisfies
|f(x)-f(y)|>=k|x-y|
for all x, y in Rn and some k>0. Show that F has a continuous inverse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is easy to show that f is injective, but I've no idea how to prove the surjectivity. I was thinking on the R1->R1 case for a while, and guess that I can show that f is unbounded to deduce the surjectivity. But it seems that boundedness is not that useful in Rn->Rn case.
Any hint? THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can still use boundedness, I think. Suppose f(R^n) is not all of R^n. Then pick a point b on the boundary of f(R^n). So you can pick a sequence x_i such that f(x_i) converges to b. The sequence x_i can't be bounded, otherwise it would have a convergent subsequence. So you can pick a subsequence of x_i, y_i such that |y_{i+1}-y_i| is as large as you like, yet f(y_i) must converge to b.

i'm working on a similar problem. could you possibly explain why x_i can't be bounded?

blerg said:
i'm working on a similar problem. could you possibly explain why x_i can't be bounded?

If x_i were bounded then would be contained in a compact set. So it has a convergent subsequence y_i->y. So f(y_i)->f(y) by continuity. But f(y_i)->b, so b=f(y). But b was assumed to be outside of the range of f.

Thanks, but why b should be outside the range of f? I get it by first proving that injective and continuous f should map open ball to open ball, but not quite clear about the whole reason behind it. Is there some explanation more direct/brilliant/inspiring? Thanks a lot...

Good point. Mostly because I drew it that way. :) Better give this some more thought...

Have you studied Brouwer's invariance of domain theorem? I think it's necessary. f:R^1->R^2 defined by f(x)=(x,0) satisfies your premises (with unequal dimensions of domain and range) but it's not surjective.

sorry for reply late...last night I was unable to open this forum...
I havn't learned Brouwer's theorem and I've no idea what causes the differences between unequal dimensions and equal dimensions of domain and range (guess it needs a lot of preliminary knowledge that I havn't learned).
but yes, I made a mistake when I tried to prove that "surjective and continuous f maps open ball to open ball". if added f:R^n->R^n, is this right? okay, even if it is true, I guess I cannot prove it, since I am possibly unable to make use of the properties of equal dimensions of domain and range...
so...it seems that the original problem is beyond my knowledge?

Last edited:
Ok, if you can prove f maps open balls to open balls then f(R^n) is an open set, then you don't need Brouwer's theorem. If f(R^n) is open then a point on the boundary of f(R^n) is not in f(R^n).

You could also use the generalization of Jordan's curve theorem. An injective continuous image of S^(n-1) -> R^n splits the complement of the image into an 'inside' and an 'outside'. It's hard to prove as well, but it's easy to visualize. That should also let you prove f(R^n) is open.

Many things beyond my knowledge:( I'll come back to this problem when I am ready for it. Anyway, thanks very much! I'll keep an eye on Jordan's curve theorem and Brouwer's theorem.

Related to Continuity, vector function, inverse

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function. A function is considered continuous if its graph has no breaks or interruptions.

2. How is continuity determined?

Continuity is determined by evaluating the limit of a function at a specific point. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a function that takes one or more inputs and produces a vector as the output. It is often used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How is a vector function graphed?

A vector function is typically graphed by plotting the individual components of the vector (x, y, z) as a function of the independent variable. The resulting graph is a parametric curve in three-dimensional space.

5. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps input values to output values, its inverse function f^-1(x) maps the output values back to the original input values.