Continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses a bonus problem in a Topology class involving the set of nxn nonsingular matrices and the continuity of the inverse and matrix multiplication functions. The speaker mentions struggling with the problem and suggests using Cramer's rule to show continuity of the inverse. They also ask for clarification on the "usual Euclidean topology" and provide a potential formula for distance in the set of matrices.
Doom of Doom
Ok, so this was assigned as a bonus problem in my Topology class a while ago. Nobody in the class got it, but I've still been racking my brain on it ever since.
____
For some n, consider the set of all nxn nonsingular matrices, and using the usual Euclidean topology on this space, show that:

a) the inverse is a continuous function. f(A) -> A^(-1)

b) matrix multiplication is a continuous function. g(A,B) -> AB

I've thought quite a bit about this problem, but I really don't know where to go. If I can show that the determinant is continuous, then I think I can do part a, since calculating the inverse is just equivalent to calculating a bunch of determinants (Cramer's rule).

As for part b, I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
What IS the "usual Euclidean topology" on the set of n by n nonsingular matrices?

Treat the matrices as vectors in [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n^{2}}[/tex]

So, [tex]d(A,B)=\left\| A-B \right\| = \sqrt{\sum_{i, j}\left( a_{i, j}-b_{i, j} \right)^{2}}[/tex]

Related to Continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices

1. What is a continuous function of nxn invertible matrices?

A continuous function of nxn invertible matrices is a function that takes in a square matrix of size nxn that is invertible (meaning it has an inverse) and outputs another square matrix of the same size. The output matrix is also required to be invertible.

2. How are continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices useful?

Continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices are useful in various fields such as linear algebra, optimization, and differential equations. They provide a way to transform one matrix into another while preserving certain properties, such as invertibility.

3. Can all nxn matrices be used in continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices?

No, not all nxn matrices can be used in continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices. The matrices must be invertible, which means they have a unique solution when solving for the unknown variables. Non-invertible matrices, such as zero matrices, cannot be used in these functions.

4. Are there any restrictions on the input and output matrices in continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices?

Yes, the input and output matrices must have the same size (nxn) and must both be invertible. Additionally, the function must be continuous, meaning that small changes in the input matrix result in small changes in the output matrix.

5. What are some examples of continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices?

Some examples of continuous functions of nxn invertible matrices include matrix addition, matrix multiplication, and matrix inversion. These functions take in two invertible nxn matrices and output another invertible nxn matrix.