Continuum Mechanics deformation definitions

In summary, the conversation was discussing the terms "principal stretch," "anisotropic material," "dilatant deformation," "Lagrangian description of a deformation," and "pure deformation." The conversation also mentioned the concepts of "right stretch tensor," "left stretch tensor," "principal stress," "eigenvalues," "dilatancy," "dilatational," "homogeneous deformation," and "rigid body rotation." The main points discussed were the differences between Lagrangian and Eulerian tensors, and the physical meanings of these terms in the context of solid mechanics and deformation.
EngSciNZ

Homework Statement

What do you understand by the following terms; (i) principal stretch (ii) an
anisotropic material (iii) a dilatant deformation, (iv) a Lagrangian description of a
deformation, and (v) a pure deformation.

Homework Equations

Am just trying to find descriptions for these, am trying to research my papers before I sit them this year, but there are no suggested texts and couldn't find good definitions for all of these from searching on the internet.

The Attempt at a Solution

I pressume principal stretch is going to be similar to principal strain? And hence the amount of elongation/contraction in the principal strain direction...

Anisotropy is differing properties in along different axis.

Dilatancy is to do with increased shear stress causing increased viscosity and sometimes solidification? But couldn't work out what the deformation was.

Didn't have much luck with the last two as they seem to be quite general terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principal stretch: The principal stretches are the three eigenvalues of either the "Right stretch tensor," typically denoted U, or the "Left stretch tensor," denoted V. These eigenvalues are the same for both tensors, though you could think of them as being "ordered" differently depending on which tensor you are interested in. Sometimes stress-strain relationships are given in terms of principal stress and principal stretch.

Dilatancy: Did you mean to ask about the definition of "dilatancy" or did you mean "dilatational"?
I'm not a fluid mechanics person, so I can't comment on dilatancy.

Pure Deformation: This is not really a common phrase. I would assume that it means "homogeneous" deformation and additionally that no rigid body rotations are present.

Lagrangian description: The tensor U is a Lagrangian tensor. The tensor V is an Eulerian tensor (another common Lagrangian strain tensor that I'm sure you've come across is E -- and its Eulerian counterpart e). Under rigid body rotation, U would be unchanged, whereas V would change. The Lagrangian description is often referred to as the "material" description.

Under deformation without rigid body rotation (pure deformation?), U and V are the same.

To see what the Lagrangian description means, physically, look at the example at the bottom of this page:
http://utsv.net/solid-mechanics/4-stress/alternative-measures-of-stress
Look closely at the axes in the figure at the bottom of that page. Note that E is a Lagrangian strain tensor, and observe that it is invariant to the rigid body rotation.

1. What is the definition of deformation in Continuum Mechanics?

Deformation in Continuum Mechanics refers to the change in shape or size of a material under the influence of external forces or stresses. It is a fundamental concept in the study of solid mechanics and is often described using mathematical models and equations.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear deformation?

Linear deformation refers to a situation where the change in shape or size of a material is directly proportional to the applied stress. Nonlinear deformation, on the other hand, occurs when the material's response to stress is not directly proportional, and it may exhibit behaviors such as plasticity and creep.

3. What are the three main types of deformation?

The three types of deformation commonly studied in Continuum Mechanics are elastic, plastic, and viscous deformation. Elastic deformation is reversible and occurs when the material returns to its original shape upon the removal of stress. Plastic deformation is irreversible and results in permanent changes in shape or size. Viscous deformation is time-dependent and occurs in materials that exhibit fluid-like behavior under stress.

4. How is strain defined in Continuum Mechanics?

In Continuum Mechanics, strain is defined as the measure of the relative change in shape or size of a material. It is often expressed as a ratio of the change in length or angle to the original length or angle of the material. Strain can be both linear and nonlinear, depending on the material's behavior under stress.

5. What is the significance of deformation gradient in Continuum Mechanics?

The deformation gradient is a mathematical representation of the change in shape or size of a material. It is a critical concept in Continuum Mechanics as it allows for the quantification of strain and the prediction of material behavior under different types of deformation. It is often used in the development of mathematical models and simulations for engineering applications.