1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuum mechanics

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    Hello!

I read somewhere about intro to continuum mechanics. There was a vector [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] and displacement vector [tex]\delta\vec{\mu}[/tex]. As vector [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] move, it will get new position

[tex]\vec{\mu}'=\vec{\mu}+\delta\vec{\mu}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\mu}'=\vec{\mu}+\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}\delta x_i=\vec{\mu}+\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)\delta x_i=\vec{\mu}+\left[\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}+\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)\right]\delta x_i[/tex]

Last component

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)[/tex]

represent rotation. Can you explain me that? I don't understand this rotation.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    Look up the Curl of a vector in 2 dimensions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook