Intro to Continuum Mechanics: Explaining Rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intro to continuum mechanics and introduces the vector \vec{\mu} and displacement vector \delta\vec{\mu}. The formula for calculating the new position of \vec{\mu} is also explained. The last component of the formula is identified as representing rotation and the speaker asks for clarification on this concept. They are directed to look up the Curl of a vector in 2 dimensions for further explanation.
stanley.st
Hello!

I read somewhere about intro to continuum mechanics. There was a vector [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] and displacement vector [tex]\delta\vec{\mu}[/tex]. As vector [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] move, it will get new position

[tex]\vec{\mu}'=\vec{\mu}+\delta\vec{\mu}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\mu}'=\vec{\mu}+\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}\delta x_i=\vec{\mu}+\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)\delta x_i=\vec{\mu}+\left[\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}+\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)\right]\delta x_i[/tex]

Last component

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial\vec{\mu}}{\partial x_j}\right)[/tex]

represent rotation. Can you explain me that? I don't understand this rotation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the Curl of a vector in 2 dimensions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials and structures when subjected to loads or displacements. It is based on the assumption that the material is continuous and can be modeled as a continuous medium, rather than individual particles.

2. What is rotation in continuum mechanics?

Rotation in continuum mechanics refers to the angular displacement of a material or structure when subjected to external forces or moments. It is an important aspect of continuum mechanics as it describes the deformation and stress distribution in a material or structure.

3. How is rotation described in continuum mechanics?

Rotation is described using mathematical tools such as vectors, tensors, and matrices. These tools help in quantifying the magnitude and direction of rotation, as well as its effects on the material or structure.

4. What are the applications of continuum mechanics in rotation?

Continuum mechanics is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science, to study the behavior of rotating objects. It is particularly useful in analyzing the stability of rotating structures, such as turbines, gears, and propellers, and in understanding the fluid dynamics of rotating fluids.

5. How is rotation related to other concepts in continuum mechanics?

Rotation is closely related to other concepts in continuum mechanics, such as strain, stress, and deformation. These concepts are interdependent and must be considered together to fully understand the behavior of materials and structures under rotation.