Contour integral from "QFT for the gifted amateur"

In summary, the extra exponential term is because the integral on the real axis is equal to the integral on the imaginary axis multiplied by the exponential of the imaginary part of the imaginary axis.
marcom
Hi,

Could you please help me understand the following example from page 76 of "QFT for the gifted amatur"?

I can't see how the following integral

Screenshot_2017_10_16_14_05_33_1.png
becomes

Screenshot_2017_10_16_14_06_02_1.png

Thanks a lot

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
The extra exponential term is because

$$\int_{-\infty}^{0} d|p| \ ... + \int_{0}^{\infty} d|p| \ ... \ = \int_{0}^{-\infty} d(-|p|) \ ... + \int_{0}^{\infty} d|p| \ ... \ = \ ... \ \\ = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d|p| |p| \exp(i |p| |x|) \bigg(\exp(it \sqrt{|p|^2 + m^2}) - \exp(-it \sqrt{|p|^2 + m^2}) \bigg)$$
Substitute ##|p| = iz## as the text says, and you get the last integral in your print.

Last edited:
Thanks but I didn't understand

marcom said:
Thanks but I didn't understand
The first integral in your post, originally with the limits ##-\infty## to ##\infty## can be re-expressed as a sum of two integrals, one from ##-\infty## to ##0## plus other one from ##0## to ##\infty##.

The first one, ##-\infty## to ##0##, can be re-expressed as being from ##0## to ##-\infty## as long as you change all ##|p|## by ##-|p|## in the integral. Do this to see what you get: the last integral in your print image.

I obtain:
∫d|p||p| e-it (√|p| 2 + m 2)(ei|p||x|+e-i|p||x|)

marcom said:
I obtain:
∫d|p||p| e-it (√|p| 2 + m 2)(ei|p||x|+e-i|p||x|)
That's right (you just need a minus sign in the exponential sum) . Re-write it as ##\int d|p| |p| \exp(i|p||x|) \bigg(\exp \bigg(i|p| \sqrt{|p|^2+m^2} \bigg) - \exp \bigg(-i|p| \sqrt{|p|^2+m^2} \bigg) \bigg)##
and make the substitution ##|p| = iz##.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
OK, thanks a lot for your help!

Likes bhobba and davidge
davidge said:
The first one, ##-\infty## to ##0##, can be re-expressed as being from ##0## to ##-\infty## as long as you change all ##|p|## by ##-|p|## in the integral. Do this to see what you get: the last integral in your print image.

Sorry to talk again about this but normally exchanging the limits of integration only introduces a minus sign
ab=-∫ba
And the result wouldn't be the same, so I don't understand why the substitution p -p works.

(And to be precise in the book they calculate the integral from infinity to I am (left side) + I am to infinity (right side) because for Jordan's lemma we only have to worry about the part going up and down the cut from I am to infinity [that is equal to the integral on the real axis for Cauchy's theorem])

Screenshot_2017_10_22_23_05_08_1.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017_10_22_23_05_08_1.png
    Screenshot_2017_10_22_23_05_08_1.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Perhaps because:
##\int_{-\infty}^{0} f(x)dx##=##-\int_{0}^{-\infty} f(x)dx##=##-\int_{0}^{+\infty} f(-x)d(-x)## ?

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integration that is performed along a particular path or curve, rather than over a specific interval. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics, particularly in the field of quantum field theory.

2. How is a contour integral used in QFT?

In QFT, contour integrals are used to calculate the probability amplitudes of various physical processes, such as particle interactions. They are also used to evaluate certain mathematical functions that arise in the theory.

3. What are the benefits of using contour integrals in QFT?

Contour integrals allow for the calculation of complex and highly accurate results in QFT, particularly in cases where traditional methods would be difficult or impossible to use. They also provide a powerful tool for understanding the underlying mathematical structure of the theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using contour integrals in QFT?

While contour integrals are a powerful tool in QFT, they can be difficult to calculate and interpret for complex systems. In addition, they may not always provide physically meaningful results, especially in cases where the path of integration is not well-defined.

5. How can I learn more about contour integrals in QFT?

There are many resources available for learning about contour integrals in QFT, including textbooks, online courses, and research articles. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of complex analysis and mathematical techniques for working with integrals.