Control I/O with USB | Get Help Now

• Thread starter Liad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find a way to control 20 inputs and outputs via USB. One option is to use an Arduino, a small computer with I/O pins and a USB, and write a program to control it. Another option is to purchase a USB data acquisition board from a company like National Instruments. The conversation also mentions the possibility of controlling the Arduino with C# and recommends buying a USB daq board if it is for a professional project. Overall, the conversation provides helpful suggestions for controlling devices through USB.
Liad
Hey,

I need to find a way to control via usb something like 20 ins and outs.
Don't have any idea what to do next. :\

Any help is more than welcomed.

Liad.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use something like an arduino - a standalone small single chip computer with lots of I/O pins and a usb - and write something yourself
or you could buy a USB data acquisition board from someone like National Instruments

Do you want easy, cheap or industrial certified.

Can I control the Arduino with c#?

Liad said:
Can I control the Arduino with c#?

The arduino itself is programmed in 'sort of' C - with it's own free development tools. A program to just receive a word on the serial port and turn on the appropriate pins would only be a dozen lines.
Then you c# program on the pc just has to write words to the USB, normally you would install a driver to make the USB look like a serial port.
If this is for real work rather than just a project it's probably easier to just buy a USB daq board with a driver.

Thanks for all your help!

I'll start working on it.

Liad.

1. How can I control I/O with USB?

To control I/O with USB, you will need to use a USB device that is specifically designed for this purpose. These devices typically connect to your computer via USB and come with software that allows you to control and monitor the I/O signals. You will also need to have knowledge of programming languages such as C or Python to write scripts that interact with the device and control the I/O signals.

2. What are some common applications for controlling I/O with USB?

Controlling I/O with USB is commonly used in industrial automation, robotics, data acquisition, and other similar applications. It allows for a quick and easy way to connect sensors, actuators, and other devices to a computer and control them in real-time.

3. Can I use any USB device to control I/O?

No, not all USB devices are designed for controlling I/O. Some USB devices are only meant for data transfer or charging and do not have the necessary hardware or software capabilities to control I/O signals. Make sure to check the specifications and capabilities of a USB device before using it for I/O control.

4. Are there any limitations to controlling I/O with USB?

One limitation of controlling I/O with USB is the speed and reliability of data transfer. USB is not as fast or reliable as other communication protocols such as Ethernet or RS-232, so it may not be suitable for high-speed or critical applications. Additionally, USB devices may have limited I/O channels, so they may not be suitable for large-scale applications.

5. How can I get help with controlling I/O with USB?

If you are having trouble setting up or using a USB device for controlling I/O, you can reach out to the manufacturer for technical support. You can also consult online forums and communities for troubleshooting tips and advice from other users. Additionally, there are many resources and tutorials available online that can help you learn how to control I/O with USB effectively.