1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control System - First order system

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    Q:
    1) A thermometer requires 1min to indicate 98% of the response to be a step input. Assuming the thermometer to be a first order system, find the time constant.

2)If the thermometer is placed in a bath, the temperature of which is changing linearly at a rate of 10degrees/min, how much error does the thermometer show?

for the first part, i think that it takes 4 time constant tor for the system to reach 98%. So im thinking that if i divide the 1min by 4 (i.e, 1min/4), id get the time constant, T. is this correct?

and for the second part, im not sure how should i tackle it. can you give me an outline of what i should do?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

CEL

You got the first part right.The time constant is 15s.
    For the second part, your system is of the form [tex]G(s)=\frac{k}{s+a}[/tex].
    You can calculate a from the time constant. K can be determined requiring that the termometer has no steady state error.
    Now, what is the response of your system to an input [tex]\frac{A}{s^2}[/tex]?
    A = 10/60 degrees/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook