Control Systems Engineering - Circuits

In summary: Either way, their final answer is incorrect as well. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function for a network shown in figure P2.3 using Kirchhoff's Current Law and the node equation. The solution manual provides a different node equation, possibly due to a mistake, but the final answer is incorrect. The origin of the mistake is not clear.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function, [itex]G(s) = \frac{V_{0}(s)}{V_{i}(s)}[/itex] for each network shown in figure P2.3. [Section 2.4]

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/20/1ocq.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try and solve this problem I Kirchhoff's Current Law and get

[itex]\frac{V_{O}(t) - V_{i}(t)}{R} + \frac{1}{L}∫_{0}^{t}V_{0}(\tau)d\tau + \frac{V_{0}(t)}{R} = 0[/itex]

This doesn't really seem to help.

The solutions manual writes the node equation as

[itex]\frac{V_{0} - V_{i}}{s} + \frac{V_{0}}{s} + V_{0} = 0[/itex]

and then solves this for

[itex]\frac{V_{0}}{V_{i}} = \frac{1}{s + 2}[/itex]

I don't exactly see how they get the node equation they do. I know that the impedance of a resistor is just the resistance and that the impedance of the inductor is Ls. So to me it looks like it should be

[itex]\frac{V_{0} - V_{i}}{R} + \frac{V_{0}}{Ls} + \frac{V_{0}}{R} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{V_{0} - V_{i}}{1} + \frac{V_{0}}{1s} + \frac{V_{0}}{1} = 0[/itex]
[itex]V_{0} - V_{i} + \frac{V_{0}}{s} + V_{0} = 0[/itex]

I don't see were the [itex]\frac{V_{0} - V_{i}}{s}[/itex] term comes from.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a mistake in their solution; They have taken the first 1 Ω resistor (connected to Vs) and treated it as a 1H inductor. So either the circuit diagram is incorrect or their equation is.

1. What is a control system?

A control system is a set of components that work together to regulate or manipulate a physical process or system. It typically consists of sensors, actuators, controllers, and feedback mechanisms.

2. What is the purpose of a control system in engineering?

The purpose of a control system is to maintain a desired output or behavior of a system by adjusting inputs or variables. This allows for precise control and optimization of complex systems, such as electrical circuits.

3. What is the difference between open-loop and closed-loop control systems?

In an open-loop control system, the output is not compared to the desired output and there is no feedback mechanism. In a closed-loop control system, the output is continuously monitored and compared to the desired output, and adjustments are made accordingly.

4. What are some common types of control systems used in circuit engineering?

Some common types of control systems in circuit engineering include proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controllers, state-space controllers, and fuzzy logic controllers.

5. How do you design a control system for a circuit?

The design process for a control system typically involves defining the system requirements, choosing appropriate components and parameters, and testing and fine-tuning the system to ensure it meets the desired performance goals.