1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control Systems Theory: Determing break frequency mathematically.

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    Hey there.

I have an open loop transfer function TF = K/(t*s^2 + s) where K is known. Given a value for the break frequency (say, w_b = 10 rad/s), I have to determine the value of the time constant, t.

I understand how do this with a bode plot, but not entirely sure how to proceed mathematically.

Thank you!

btbam91

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, rewrite the function into K/s(Ts+1) = (K/T)/s(s + 1/T).
    So now, looking at it that way, for what value of ω does the break occur?

I would like to see or have described your Bode plot with exact abscissa and ordinate values. If you did this right it's obvious what the gain and the time constant are. It's also very helpful to understand the relationship between your TF and the Bode plot.

BTW don't use t in your transfer function. t is always a variable. Use T or tau.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted