Controlled descent - parafoil

• Thread starter guru
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a project that requires a parafoil with 1.2lb payload to be controlled by 2 lines and a servomotor. The person is looking for recommendations on which parafoil to use and where to buy it from. They were referred to the Flexifoil website and offered help from someone with experience in designing and flying parafoils.
guru
I'm working on a project that requires 1.2lb(approx.)-payload to be descended by a parafoil. The parafoil needs to have 2 control lines which will be steered by a servomotor. However, I don't know what parafoil to use, nor where to buy it from (even after countless number of searches online). I really need help on this. Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
contact me if oyu have not comeright. I fly flexifiol kites and model planes all of my own design and have done this before

how can i design a parafoil to carry payloads of 200 g with 100s descent time?

1. What is a controlled descent?

A controlled descent is a method used to safely bring an object or person from a high altitude to the ground in a controlled manner. It involves the use of various techniques and equipment to slow down the descent and ensure a safe landing.

2. What is a parafoil?

A parafoil is a type of parachute that uses a fabric wing to provide lift and control during descent. It is typically made of lightweight, ripstop nylon and has a rectangular shape with air vents to allow for better maneuverability.

3. How does a parafoil work?

A parafoil works by using the principles of aerodynamics to create lift and control during descent. As the parafoil moves through the air, the shape of the wing creates a difference in air pressure above and below, allowing for lift and control. The pilot or operator can also manipulate the lines attached to the parafoil to change its direction and speed.

4. What are the benefits of using a parafoil for controlled descent?

Parafoils offer several benefits for controlled descent, including greater control and maneuverability compared to traditional parachutes. They also have a slower descent rate, making them suitable for a wider range of landing areas. Additionally, parafoils are typically easier to pack and transport, making them a preferred choice for many applications.

5. What are some common uses for controlled descent with a parafoil?

Parafoils are commonly used for controlled descent in various applications, such as skydiving, military operations, and aerial delivery of supplies. They are also used for emergency situations, such as evacuations or rescue missions. In addition, parafoils are often used in scientific research and testing, such as for studying weather patterns or collecting atmospheric data.