Convection/(radiation ?) heat loss problem. (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the convection heat transfer coefficient in air using an electric resistance wire. The wire is 40 cm long and has a diameter of 0.6 cm, with a measured surface temperature of 150 degrees C and an electric power consumption of 90 W. The problem also involves calculating the radiation heat loss from the wire, which is found to be 30 W. After solving for the convection heat transfer coefficient, a question is raised about the power flowing through the wire and whether any of it actually makes it through. It is mentioned that in practice, wires like this are designed to have a high resistivity for the purpose of heat generation.
Sentience

Homework Statement

A 40-cm-long, 0.6-cm-diameter electric resistance wire is used to determine the convection heat transfer coefficient in air at 25 degrees C experimentally. The surface temperature of the wire is measured to be 150 degrees C when the electric power consumption is 90 W. If the radiation heat loss from the wire is calculated to be 30 W, the convection heat transfer coefficient is : ?

Homework Equations

Q (convection) = h * A * (delta T)

h = stefan-boltzmann constant

A = surface area

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the equation equal to h and solve. I get h = 0.318 W/ M^2, which is not one of the given answers (multiple choice). Two things that confuse me :

1 .Why was I given the amount of radiation transfer when all of the other information pertains to convectrion? (I think this might be a typo, I'm going to email my instructor)

2. Why was the amount of power going through the wire ( 90 Watts ) given? Do I need this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need all the information. The wire is losing energy due to radiation as well. Try sketching and then writing an energy balance for the wire.

(And check h; it's not the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.)

I ended up getting the right answer, in which 30 watts was lost to radiation and then 60 watts to convection, to get the answer of h ~ 63 or so. (Yeah it's the convection coeffiecient, sorry about the typo)

My question is though, is that if you have 90 watts of power flowing through that wire, and all of it ends up being lost to either convection or radiation, does any power end up actually making it through? Seems like a crappy wire to me.

Sentience said:
My question is though, is that if you have 90 watts of power flowing through that wire, and all of it ends up being lost to either convection or radiation, does any power end up actually making it through? Seems like a crappy wire to me.

Well, for all we know, 9000 W are transmitted and only 90 W are dissipated as heat. It's not mentioned in the problem statement because it's not important in a heat transfer problem. But in practice, such wires (think heating elements in your toaster oven) are designed to have a high resistivity because heat generation is their only purpose.

I would first check the given information and equations to make sure they are accurate and relevant to the problem. In this case, the given equation for convection heat transfer coefficient (h) is incorrect as it does not include any temperature difference (delta T) term. The correct equation for convection heat transfer coefficient is h = Q/A(delta T), where Q is the heat transfer rate, A is the surface area, and delta T is the temperature difference between the surface and the surrounding fluid.

To answer the first question, it is possible that the given radiation heat loss is a typo and should actually be convection heat loss. However, if the problem truly intends to include radiation heat loss, then it is important to note that radiation heat transfer is typically much smaller than convection heat transfer in air at low temperatures. Therefore, it can be assumed that the majority of heat loss from the wire is due to convection.

As for the second question, the power consumption information is not necessary to solve for the convection heat transfer coefficient. However, it can be used to check the accuracy of the calculated coefficient by comparing it to the expected power consumption based on the calculated coefficient and the given temperature difference.

In conclusion, the correct approach to solving this problem would be to use the equation h = Q/A(delta T) and calculate the heat transfer rate Q by subtracting the given radiation heat loss from the total power consumption. Then, the calculated coefficient can be compared to the expected power consumption to check for accuracy.

1. What is convection heat loss?

Convection heat loss is the transfer of heat from a hot object to a cooler object through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. This type of heat transfer occurs due to differences in temperature and density, causing the warmer fluid to rise and the cooler fluid to sink.

2. How does convection heat loss affect thermodynamics?

Convection heat loss is an important factor in thermodynamics as it plays a role in the overall heat transfer process. In thermodynamics, heat is considered a form of energy that is constantly being transferred from one object to another. Convection heat loss is one of the mechanisms through which this heat transfer occurs.

3. What is radiation heat loss?

Radiation heat loss is the transfer of heat from one object to another through electromagnetic waves. This type of heat transfer does not require a medium, such as air or water, and can occur through empty space.

4. How is radiation heat loss different from convection heat loss?

Radiation heat loss differs from convection heat loss in the way that heat is transferred. While convection heat loss involves the movement of fluids, radiation heat loss occurs through electromagnetic waves. Additionally, radiation heat loss does not require a medium, whereas convection heat loss does.

5. How can convection and radiation heat loss be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce convection and radiation heat loss, such as by insulating the object or using reflective materials. Insulation works by creating a barrier between the hot object and cooler surroundings, reducing the transfer of heat. Reflective materials, on the other hand, help to redirect the radiation heat, thus reducing its impact on the object.