Exploring the Convergence of $\sum\frac{2}{2^{n}}$

• Thread starter asset101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the series \sum\frac{n}{2^{n}} converges, with a focus on using the ratio test to determine its convergence. The conversation also suggests using the comparison test with the integral of x*exp(-x) as an alternative method.
asset101
Does the series [tex]\sum\frac{2}{2^{n}}[/tex]

converge??

(Note that bounds on the running index n are from 1 to infinity)

I have tried ratio test but it returned a value of 1 (showing nothing).

I can see from the table function on my calulator that the term eventually diminsh to (not including zero).

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you did the ratio test? The ratio is NOT 1.

Rememer, you can pull anything not involving an "n" out of the summation. So the 2 in the numerator can come out. Then you have

2 (SUM) 1/2^n

This can also be written as

2 (SUM) (1/2)^n

You should be able to recognize the SUM as a notable one, and use the rules pertaining to that kind of summation to determine whether or not it converges. And if it converges, does multiplying by 2 change any of that?

Sorry fellas the question should read

Does the series [tex]\sum\frac{n}{2^{n}}[/tex]

converge??

(Note that bounds on the running index n are from 1 to infinity)

I have tried ratio test but it returned a value of 1 (showing nothing).

I can see from the table function on my calulator that the term eventually diminsh to (not including) zero.

Any help would be appreciated

Ratio test should still not give you a value of 1. Can you show how you got that?

What comes to my mind would be doing a comparison test with the integral of x*exp(-x).

What Dick said. The ratio test is definitely the test to use. If you got a limit of 1, you're doing something wrong.

What is the convergence of the series?

The series $\sum\frac{2}{2^{n}}$ is a geometric series with a common ratio of $\frac{1}{2}$. It is well-known that a geometric series with a common ratio less than 1 will converge. Therefore, the series converges to a finite value.

How do you determine the sum of the series?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula $S = \frac{a}{1-r}$, where $a$ is the first term of the series and $r$ is the common ratio. In this case, $a = 2$ and $r = \frac{1}{2}$. Therefore, the sum of the series is $S = \frac{2}{1-\frac{1}{2}} = 4$.

What is the significance of the convergence of the series in real-world applications?

The convergence of a series can have significant implications in various real-world applications. For example, the convergence of a financial series can determine the future value of an investment or the stability of a company's revenue. In scientific research, the convergence of a series can indicate the accuracy of a model or the reliability of experimental data.

What are the conditions for the convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series depends on its terms and the common ratio. In general, a series will converge if its terms approach zero as the number of terms increases, and the common ratio is less than 1. However, there are other convergence tests, such as the ratio test and the integral test, that can be used to determine the convergence of more complex series.

How can the convergence of a series be proven?

The convergence of a series can be proven using mathematical proofs and convergence tests. In the case of the series $\sum\frac{2}{2^{n}}$, we can use the ratio test, which states that if the limit $\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|$ is less than 1, then the series converges. In this case, the limit is $\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{\frac{2}{2^{n+1}}}{\frac{2}{2^{n}}}\right| = \frac{1}{2} < 1$, which proves the convergence of the series.