Convergence and limits analysis problem

In summary, to prove that the sequence (zn) also converges to L, we use the fact that (xn) and (yn) converge to L and show that (zn) satisfies the same definition of convergence. By using the definition of the limit and the given inequalities, we can show that for any e>0, there exists an N in N such that |zn-L|<e, proving that (zn) converges to L. This completes the proof that (zn) converges to L.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Assume that (xn) and (yn) are sequences, both of which
converge to L. Assume further that (zn) is a sequence satisfying
xn <or= zn <or= yn

for all n in N. Prove that (zn) also converges to L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let xn and yn be sequences that converge to L and let zn converge to L'
The fact that xn is <or= to zn for all n in N implies that L<or=L'
The fact that zn is <or= to yn for all n in N implies that L'<or=L'
Meaning L<or=L'<or=L
Therefore, L=L'

Would this be correct? Do I need to show that Zn converges before I assume it has a limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
dancergirlie said:
Let xn and yn be sequences that converge to L and let zn converge to L'
The fact that xn is <or= to zn for all n in N implies that L<or=L'
The fact that zn is <or= to yn for all n in N implies that L'<or=L'
Meaning L<or=L'<or=L
Therefore, L=L'

Would this be correct? Do I need to show that Zn converges before I assume it has a limit?

Yes. You have not shown that zn converges at all; we can't start by assuming it converges, unless we later plan to append a proof for the case where it is not assumed to converge, in which case the latter proof is stronger and replaces the former!
Also, I'm not sure what theorems you have already proven, but you may need to show the proof for the second line's inequality limit implication.

we've already proven the theorem that if
lima<or= limb for all n in N then a<b so I assumed I could just use that theorem.

How would you reccomend I go about proving that zn converges? Should I do an induction proof? Because the sequence is bounded, so all I'd have to prove would be that it is either increasing or decreasing, right?

i'm sorry i mean we have already proven that
if lima<or=limb for all n in N then a<or=b

dancergirlie said:
i'm sorry i mean we have already proven that
if lima<or=limb for all n in N then a<or=b

Unfortunately, the existence of lim b is part of the assumption for that theorem, so it cannot be used directly until we show zn does indeed converge. This is actually easier than it looks and need only uses the definition of the limit of a sequence.
Consider the two inequalities:
xn - L <= zn - L <= yn - L
L - xn >= L - zn >= L - yn
which are perfectly valid pointwise. Then add in the definition of the limit of the sequences x and y tending to L, and show that this gives the definition of z converging to L as well.

Alright how does this look?

assume xn<=zn<=yn
Meaning, xn-L<=zn-L<=yn-L

Since L is the limit of xn and yn, that means:
for e>0 there exists N1,N2 in N so that:

|xn-L|<e and |yn-L|<e
which is equivalent to:
-e<xn-L<e and -e<yn-L<e
since -e<xn-L and yn-L<e
that means:
-e<xn-L<=zn-L<=yn-L<e
and -e<zn-L<e
meaning for e>0 there exists an N in N so that
|zn-L|<e
and therefore, L is the limit of zn

Excellent work. Very straightforward. :smile:

thanks so much for the help :D

1. What is convergence in terms of limits analysis?

Convergence in limits analysis refers to the behavior of a sequence or function as the independent variable approaches a certain value. It describes whether the sequence or function will approach a finite or infinite value as the independent variable approaches a specified limit.

2. How is convergence determined in limits analysis?

Convergence is determined by evaluating the limit of a sequence or function as the independent variable approaches a specified value. If the limit exists and is finite, then the sequence or function is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence or function is said to diverge.

3. What is the relationship between convergence and continuity?

In general, a function that is continuous at a point must also be convergent at that point. This means that as the independent variable approaches a specified value, the function will also approach a finite value. However, the converse is not always true - a function can be convergent at a point without being continuous at that point.

4. What are the types of convergence in limits analysis?

The two main types of convergence in limits analysis are pointwise convergence and uniform convergence. Pointwise convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence or function at individual points, while uniform convergence refers to the behavior of the sequence or function as a whole over a given interval.

5. How is the rate of convergence determined in limits analysis?

The rate of convergence is determined by evaluating the limit of the difference between the sequence or function and its expected value. This can be done using various techniques, such as the ratio test or the root test. The rate of convergence can also be affected by the specific properties of the sequence or function being analyzed.