1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence in distribution example

1. Apr 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prob.png

2. Relevant equations

Definition: A sequence [itex] X_1,X_2,\dots [/itex] of real-valued random variables is said to converge in distribution to a random variable [itex]X[/itex] if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}F_{n}(x)=F(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] at which [itex]F[/itex] is continuous. Here [itex]F_n, F[/itex] are the cumulative distributions functions of the random variables [itex]X_n[/itex] and [itex]X[/itex] respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to understand/recreate the following solution to the problem.

prob1.png

My working so far is that
    $$F_{X}(x)=P(X\leq x)=\begin{cases} 0, &x<-1 \\ 1/2, &x\in[-1,1) \\ 1, &x\geq 1\end{cases}$$ and since [itex]X[/itex] only takes values 1 and -1 then [itex]X_n = (-1)^{n+X}+\frac1n=(-1)^{n+1}+\frac1n[/itex] and so $$F_{X_n}(x)=P(X_n\leq x)=\begin{cases} 0, &x<(-1)^{n+1}+\frac{1}{n} \\ 1, &x\geq (-1)^{n+1}+\frac{1}{n}\end{cases}$$ I can't understand how the limits to this have been achieved in the solution. Why does [itex]F_{X_n}(x)\rightarrow 1/2[/itex] for [itex]t\in(-1,1)[/itex], say?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with your analysis. It looks like the problem has been incorrectly stated. The ##X_n## are not even random, since ##X_n=(-1)^{n+1}## for all integer ##n##.

The ##X_n## do not converge in distribution to ##X## because ##F_X## is continuous at 0 and equal to ##1/2##, but ##F_{X_n}(0)## is alternately ##0## and ##1## as ##n## increments, hence ##F_n(0)## does not converge to ##1/2##.

The specific error in the text's attempted proof is the statement that 'for large enough ##n##, ##F_{X_n}(t)=1/2##' (for ##t\in(-1,1)##) .

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    That makes sense, thanks a lot! I thought I was going crazy xD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted