Convergence of the Sequence \sqrt[n]{n} to 1

In summary: Thank you very much for your help ;)In summary, by using the squeeze theorem and the fact that \lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{n}=1, we can prove that for any K≥1, \lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{K} = 1. This is because for any n, we can find a value M such that for all n≥M, 1≤\sqrt[n]{K}≤1+\sqrt[n]{n}. Therefore, \lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{K}=1.
Dodobird

Homework Statement

Be [itex]K \geq 1[/itex]. Conclude out of the statement that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } [/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{n} = 1[/itex], dass [itex]\sqrt[n]{K} = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K} \Rightarrow 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

I got issues with the right inequality, where the 3 dots are. I´m not sure if just insert the [itex] \sqrt[n]{n} [/itex] there and that s about it.

Thanks in advance ;)

Christian...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]1 \leq K \leq n[/itex] for some big n (we're going to let it tend to infinity later)
Then we can do a squeeze:
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex]

Many thanks Fightfish for your quick reply so i can state the following:

For the 3 real Sequences [itex]\sqrt[n]{1} , \sqrt[n]{K} , \sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] [itex]\exists N [/itex] [itex] \forall n \geq N[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt[n]{1} \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq \sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex].

[itex]\Rightarrow \sqrt[n]{K} [/itex] converges and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

I thought about this and maybe this one here is more elegant than the other one, would be cool if someone could backcheck it.

[itex] \forall n \text{ with } n > K >1: \sqrt[n]{K} <\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1}= 1[/itex]

[itex] \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n} = 1 [/itex]

Thanks again for your helping...

Dodobird said:

Homework Statement

Be [itex]K \geq 1[/itex]. Conclude out of the statement that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } [/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{n} = 1[/itex], dass [itex]\sqrt[n]{K} = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K} \Rightarrow 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

I got issues with the right inequality, where the 3 dots are. I´m not sure if just insert the [itex] \sqrt[n]{n} [/itex] there and that s about it.

Thanks in advance ;)

Christian...
Hello Christian (Dodobird). Welcome to PF !
I also have issues with the inequality:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

Why do you have both ≤ and ≥ in the same compound inequality?

Thank you Sammy for your warm welcome
Oh yeah, you are right. Both signs should point in the same direction. I mistakenly wrote it in the wrong way.Sorry about that.
So it should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq 1 + ...[/itex]

Thx ;)

Dodobird said:
Thank you Sammy for your warm welcome
Oh yeah, you are right. Both signs should point in the same direction. I mistakenly wrote it in the wrong way.Sorry about that.
So it should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq 1 + ...[/itex]

Thx ;)
I'm just making sure that I understand this exercise.

You are to prove, for K≥1 that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{K} = 1\,,[/itex] using the result that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{n}=1\ .[/itex] Is that correct?

Yeah, that´s correct Sammy. Do you see any flaws?
I´m pretty new to proofs in Mathematics and still struggle with it and still feel a little bit insecure when I got to prove something.

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence?

The convergence of a sequence refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is said to converge if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single limit as the number of terms increases.

How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence can be determined by examining the behavior of the terms as the number of terms increases. If the terms get closer and closer to a single limit, the sequence is said to converge. If the terms do not approach a single limit, the sequence is said to diverge.

What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a sequence?

The difference between convergence and divergence of a sequence lies in the behavior of the terms as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach a single limit, the sequence is said to converge. If the terms do not approach a single limit, the sequence is said to diverge.

What are the common types of convergence for a sequence?

The common types of convergence for a sequence include pointwise convergence, uniform convergence, and absolute convergence. Pointwise convergence refers to the convergence of each individual term in the sequence. Uniform convergence refers to the convergence of the entire sequence as a whole. Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of the absolute values of the terms in the sequence.

How is the convergence of a sequence used in mathematics and other fields?

The convergence of a sequence is used in many mathematical concepts, such as limit theorems, series, and calculus. It is also used in other fields, such as statistics and computer science, to analyze and model data and algorithms. Understanding convergence is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it helps to predict the behavior of systems and processes.