Convergence of a series with factorial

In summary, the conversation was about determining the convergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^{n}\frac{1}{n!}. The speakers discussed using the ratio test, Raabe's test, and the root test, as well as the Taylor series expansions of log(1+x) and e^x to find the limit of the Raabe's test. They also talked about using L'Hopital's rule and using Maple or Maxima to compute the limit. Finally, they discussed the use of small oh notation in expanding the expression and determining the limit, which was ultimately found to be 1/2.
dobry_den

Homework Statement

My task is to determine whether the following series is convergent or not.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^{n}\frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The limit of the terms is zero, so the series might be convergent. I tried the ratio test, but the limit is equal to 1, so that didn't help. Now I'm trying Raabe's test, but the limit is quite difficult to determine...

Do you have any ideas, please? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one step closer... Now I know it's divergent - I used the comparison test with

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi n}[/tex]

which yields the second limit from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling's_approximation - which is equal to 1. This means that the series is divergent (because 1/sqrt(2*pi*n) is divergent). But I would like to do a Stirling-free determination of convergence.

The Raabe's test yields this limit:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n \left(\frac{en^{n}}{{\left(n+1 \right)}^{n}} - 1 \right) [/tex]

Could you please post any hints as to how to solve this limit? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
L'Hopitals rule will work, but the result will be infinity i.e. >1 so converges. Just curious if you tried the root test.

hey, i used the the root test, but that yields one, so it's not of much help... - i used mathematica to compute that, the limit is following:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{n}{e\sqrt[n]{n!}}[/tex]

btw, i can't see how l'hospital rule would help - i think it justs complicates the expression...

The Raabe's test limit is 1/2. To show this use as many terms as you need from the taylor series expansions of log(1+x) and e^x.

I put the expression in Maple and get infinity as a result for the limit.

unplebeian said:
I put the expression in Maple and get infinity as a result for the limit.

Interesting. I put it into maxima and got .4958745375797102 at n=50. Did you even try to work it out without a machine?

Last edited:
Dick said:
The Raabe's test limit is 1/2. To show this use as many terms as you need from the taylor series expansions of log(1+x) and e^x.

Could you please elaborate a little bit on that? Do you mean to rewrite this part:

[tex](\left n+1 \right)^{n}[/tex]

as

[tex]e^{n\log{(n+1)}}[/tex]

and then to do a Taylor expansion of this expression?

Actually I would combine the nth powers and expand (1+1/n)^n. By expanding n*log(1+1/n). Then use the expansion of e^x to express everything as powers of n. Remember the expansion parameter should be a SMALL number.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Interesting. I put it into maxima and got .4958745375797102 at n=50. Did you even try to work it out without a machine?

Yes, I did. I think maybe I got the expressions wrong. Is there a power on the 'e' in the expression?

unplebeian said:
Yes, I did. I think maybe I got the expressions wrong. Is there a power on the 'e' in the expression?

No power on the 'e'. Exactly what's written in post 2.

Dick said:
Actually I would combine the nth powers and expand (1+1/n)^n. By expanding n*log(1+1/n). Then use the expansion of e^x to express everything as powers of n. Remember the expansion parameter should be a SMALL number.

but by combining the nth powers (i.e. (n^n)/(n+1)^n), wouldn't you get rather (1-1/(n+1))^n than (1+1/n)^n?

It's easier the other way around. Write it as e/(1+1/n)^n=e*(1+1/n)^(-n).

thanks a lot...!

and btw, by expansion parameter do you mean the degree to which I expand the Taylor polynomial?

Last edited:
I mean for example that the taylor expansion of log(1+x) is x-x^2/2+x^3/3... I can't use that to expand log(1+n) since the terms are getting larger and larger (it's divergent). I CAN use it to expand log(1+1/n). So the x in the taylor series needs to be small, that's what I'm referring to as 'expansion parameter'.

Could you just check if this is correct? I'm not quite sure how to work with the small oh notation:

First I get this:
[tex]e^{1}e^{(-n)\log{(1+\frac{1}{n}})[/tex]

Then I express the logarithm as a Taylor series:

[tex]log(1+\frac{1}{n})= \frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n^2}+o(\frac{1}{n^2})[/tex]

This is multiplied with (-n) and then I add 1 from the first e to get:

[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2n}-no(\frac{1}{n^2})[/tex]

Then I use Taylor expansion to rewrite it as following:

[tex]1+(\frac{1}{2n}) - no(\frac{1}{n^2}) + o(\frac{1}{n})[/tex]

- I'm not quite sure about the last o().. don't know what to write there exactly. Should I write the whole expression (see below) there?

[tex]o\left((\frac{1}{2n}) - no(\frac{1}{n^2})\right)[/tex]

Then I subtract 1 and multiply the rest by n, as the limit says. I get:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\left( \frac{1}{2}- \frac{o(\frac{1}{n^2})}{\frac{1}{n^2}}+ \frac{o(\frac{1}{n})}{\frac{1}{n}}\right)[/tex]

which is equal to 1/2... Are the steps ok?

Last edited:
I think so, aside from some typos, like log(1+1/n)=1/n-1/(2n^2)+o(1/n^3). You can do things like n*o(1/n^3)=o(1/n^2). The final thing you are taking the limit of should come out to 1/2+o(1/n). Then you can ignore the o(1/n). But that's basically it.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks you very much, it helped me a lot...

ad "o(1/n^3)".. my book says it should be o(1/n^2) since we're using the small o notation, not the big o, so that's may be the difference.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series with factorial?

The convergence of a series with factorial refers to the behavior of the sum of terms in a series as the number of terms approaches infinity. In other words, it is the limit of the series as the number of terms increases without bound.

2. How is the convergence of a series with factorial determined?

The convergence of a series with factorial is typically determined using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. If this limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If it is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and other methods may be used.

3. What is a factorial and how does it relate to series convergence?

A factorial is a mathematical operation that multiplies a number by all of the positive integers smaller than it. It is denoted by an exclamation mark (!). Factorials are often used in series to express the number of terms in the series. For example, a series with 5 terms would have a factorial of 5!, and a series with n terms would have a factorial of n!. Factorials can affect the convergence of a series, as seen in the ratio test.

4. Can a series with factorial converge to any value?

No, a series with factorial can only converge to a specific value or diverge. If the series converges, it will converge to a finite value. If the series diverges, it will approach infinity or negative infinity.

5. How does the convergence of a series with factorial compare to other types of series convergence?

The convergence of a series with factorial is similar to other types of series convergence, such as geometric series or telescoping series. However, the presence of the factorial can make it more complicated to determine convergence, as seen in the ratio test. Additionally, the convergence of a series with factorial is typically slower than other types of series convergence, meaning it takes more terms for the series to approach its limit.