Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convergence of Infinite Series

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    I need some help on determining whether this infinite series converges (taken from Spivak for those curious):

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty } \frac{1}{n^{1+1/n}}[/tex]

I would think the integral test would be most appropriate but it doesn't seem to work (because the integral seems hard). The obvious comparison tests are inconclusive and a ratio test seems inconclusive as well. I'm guessing the best idea right now would be to think of comparisons. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your denominator is n^(1+1/n)=n*n^(1/n). Can you figure out the limit of n^(1/n)? Does that suggest a comparison?

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    Yeah it does. So it converges. Thanks.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it doesn't! What are you going to compare with? Are you sure it converges???!

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    Uh oh. I'm back to square one. I thought I had it but I was being reckless. I'm not quite sure how the existence of a limit for n^(1/n) helps me.

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What IS the limit? The existence of a limit implies n^(1/n) has a maximum value. Can you find an M such that n^(1/n)<M. Now what series to compare with?

8. Feb 24, 2009 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

so n^(1/n) in limit goes to 1....

think about what type of sum this leaves you with as we go towards the limit

it is also< 2 for all n in the sum (actually <=3^(1/3) can show x^(1/x) decreases monotonically for lnx>1)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook