Convergence of \sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}} using the limit comparison test

In summary, the limit comparison test determines whether the following series converges or diverges. For the given series, the limit comparison test results in the series converging.
phosgene

Homework Statement

Use the limit comparison test to determine whether the following series converges or diverges.

[itex]\sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}}[/itex]

Where the sum is from n = 1 to n = ∞.

Homework Equations

The limit comparison test:

Suppose an>0 and bn>0 for all n. If the limit of an/bn=c, where c>0, then the two series [itex]\sum{a_{n}}[/itex] and [itex]\sum{b_{n}}[/itex] either both converge or both diverge.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get that the point is to find another series that you know diverges or converges that will also make the above limit easy to evaluate. All I can think to do is to compare it to something like [itex]\sum{1/3^n}[/itex] or [itex]\sum{2^n}[/itex], the first of which results in the limit not existing and the second of which results in the limit being zero. I think it's obvious that the series should converge, as the denominator is always equal to or greater than the numerator. But I'm out of ideas on what other sums I could use in the limit comparison test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare it to
[tex]\sum \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}\cdot\frac{3^n-1}{2^n}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3^n}{3^n} - \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
[tex]1- \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
With limit n->infinity, this = 1

Last edited:
LANS said:
Compare it to
[tex]\sum \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}\cdot\frac{3^n-1}{2^n}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3^n}{3^n} - \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
[tex]1- \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
With limit n->infinity, this = 1

Not quite, although the limit of the ratio is equal to 1. There are a few mistakes, in my opinion:

First, the ratio is wrong. It should be ##u_n/v_n## or in the OP's equation ##a_n/b_n##. You've done the opposite. (A condition is missing in this case: c<∞)

Second, the limit is obtained using L'Hopital's rule.

Third, [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/itex] is in fact a geometric series.

It should be easy now to form the final conclusion.

Last edited:
Doh! That should've been my next try. I got too caught up trying to do the same thing I was doing for the preceding questions. Thanks for the help guys :)

Related to Convergence of \sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}} using the limit comparison test

What is the definition of convergence of a series?

Convergence of a series refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers that are added together to form an infinite sum. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the series in relation to other known convergent or divergent series.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when a series converges regardless of the order in which its terms are added. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, occurs when the series only converges when its terms are added in a specific order. This can happen when the series alternates between positive and negative terms, resulting in cancellation of terms when added in a different order.

Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to a single value. If the terms of a series approach different values, then the series is said to diverge and does not have a finite sum.

Why is it important to understand convergence of a series?

Understanding convergence of a series is important in various fields of science, particularly in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the accurate representation of infinite sums and can be used to solve real-world problems involving infinite processes, such as in calculus and differential equations.