Summation of sin(pi*n/2)/2: Is the Execution Correct?

• Thread starter mr-feeno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the series appears to converge, but it might be better understood if the OP knew more about ordinary convergence and divergence.
mr-feeno

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}sin(\frac{\pi*n}{2})/{2}[/tex]I don't have a solution, and wondered if the execution is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that one can use comparison test where; [tex]\sum b_n[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{n^{1/2}}[/tex].
Since p<1 ---> divergent. But many of the students says it converges. Some suggestions?

We know that the series is alternating, and if I use its test I get that it converges. Reckon that perhaps the fault lies there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's define a function that's related to that series:

##f(x) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{2})## .

Now obviously the sum of the original series, if it exists, is ##f(1)##. Is the expression of ##f(x)## the Fourier series of some function that you know?

EDIT1: This might help: http://functions.wolfram.com/GeneralizedFunctions/DiracDelta/06/01/

Is the Dirac delta an acceptable function in the sense of rigorous mathematics?

EDIT2: Also, if a sum of terms ##a_k## is convergent, what can we tell about the limit of the sequence ##(a_k)## when ##k \rightarrow \infty## ?

Last edited:
mr-feeno said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}sin(\frac{\pi*n}{2})/{2}[/tex]I don't have a solution, and wondered if the execution is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that one can use comparison test where; [tex]\sum b_n[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{n^{1/2}}[/tex].
Since p<1 ---> divergent. But many of the students says it converges. Some suggestions?

We know that the series is alternating, and if I use its test I get that it converges. Reckon that perhaps the fault lies there?

Well, the actual terms for ##n = 2,3,4, \ldots## are 0, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 0, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 0, ... . Do you think those terms give a convergent series?

hilbert2 said:
Maybe in the sense of Cesaro summability...

I would rather that the OP have a good grasp of ordinary convergence/divergence before exploring more arcane topics like cesaro or Abel or ... summability.

1. What is the summation of sin(pi*n/2)/2?

The summation of sin(pi*n/2)/2 is a mathematical series that calculates the sum of the sine function with angles that are multiples of pi/2. It converges to a value of 1 as n approaches infinity.

2. How is the execution for this summation calculated?

The execution for this summation is calculated using the formula: 1/2 + 0 + 1/2 + 0 + 1/2 + 0 + ... which simplifies to 1/2 for every term. This can be rewritten as 1/2 * n, where n represents the number of terms in the series.

3. Is the execution for this summation correct?

Yes, the execution for this summation is correct. It has been proven mathematically that the sum of the sine function with angles that are multiples of pi/2 converges to 1 as n approaches infinity.

4. What is the significance of this summation in the field of mathematics?

This summation is significant in the field of mathematics because it is a basic example of a convergent series. It also demonstrates the concept of infinite series and how they can converge to a specific value.

5. Can this summation be calculated using other methods?

Yes, this summation can also be calculated using other methods such as using a calculator or software, or by manually calculating each term and adding them together. However, the formula used in the execution is the most efficient and accurate method.