1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence or not

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}sin(\frac{\pi*n}{2})/{2}[/tex]

I dont have a solution, and wondered if the execution is correct.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that one can use comparison test where; [tex]\sum b_n[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{n^{1/2}}[/tex].
    Since p<1 ---> divergent. But many of the students says it converges. Some suggestions?

We know that the series is alternating, and if I use its test I get that it converges. Reckon that perhaps the fault lies there?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's define a function that's related to that series:

##f(x) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{2})## .

Now obviously the sum of the original series, if it exists, is ##f(1)##. Is the expression of ##f(x)## the Fourier series of some function that you know?

EDIT1: This might help: http://functions.wolfram.com/GeneralizedFunctions/DiracDelta/06/01/

Is the Dirac delta an acceptable function in the sense of rigorous mathematics?

EDIT2: Also, if a sum of terms ##a_k## is convergent, what can we tell about the limit of the sequence ##(a_k)## when ##k \rightarrow \infty## ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. Dec 4, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the actual terms for ##n = 2,3,4, \ldots## are 0, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 0, -1/2, 0, 1/2, 0, ... . Do you think those terms give a convergent series?

5. Dec 4, 2016 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Dec 4, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would rather that the OP have a good grasp of ordinary convergence/divergence before exploring more arcane topics like cesaro or Abel or ... summability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted