1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent sequence

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show, from the definition of what it means for a function to converge to a limit, that the sequence ##\left\{x^t\right\}_{t=1}^{\infty}## with ##x^t = \frac{2t+5}{t^2+7}## converges to ##0## as ##t## goes to infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    A sequence converges to ##x^0 \in X## if for any ##\epsilon > 0##, there is ##N \in \mathbb{N}## such that if ##t > N##, then ##d(x^t,x^0) < \epsilon##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To show that ##x^t = \frac{2t+5}{t^2+7}## converges to ##0## we must, for any ##\epsilon > 0##, find a value ##N## such that if ##t > N##, then
    $$\left|\frac{2t+5}{t^2+7} - 0\right| = \left|\frac{2t+5}{t^2+7}\right| < \epsilon$$.
    Now sure how to simplify ##x^t## to show that it is less than or equal to some much simpler expression in ##t## that can clearly be made less than any given ##\epsilon## by choosing ##n## large enough. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, you could note that ##t^2 +7 > t^2##

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since t is positive so is the fraction so you can drop the absolute value sign: [itex]\frac{2t+ 5}{t^2+ 7}< \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]2t+ 5< \epsilon(t^2+ 7)[/itex]. For what t is [itex]\epsilon t^2- 2t+ 7\epsilon- 5> 0[/itex]?

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you do not want the smallest possible ##N## giving ##|x_t| < \epsilon## for ## t > N##, but are satisfied with some ##N = N(\epsilon)## that 'works', the problem is quite straightforward. Do you agree that for ##t \geq 1## the numerator is ##\leq 7t##? Do you agree that the denominator is ##> t^2##?

6. Nov 1, 2015 #5
    Yup that's obvious so is it as easy as saying ##\frac{2t}{t^2} = \frac{2}{t} < \epsilon##.

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no: ##5 + 2 \neq 2##.

8. Nov 1, 2015 #7
    Then I'm a little stuck. That ##t^2## has lost me. It's easy if it's just ##t##.

9. Nov 1, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\frac{7t}{t^2} = \frac{7}{t}##. Note that the original numerator is ##7 t##, not ##2 t## as you wrote (but otherwise you did exactly the same simplification, using 2 instead of 2+5 = 7).

10. Nov 1, 2015 #9
    Ok why is the numerator ##\leq 7t## for ##t > 0##??

11. Nov 1, 2015 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't, and I never claimed it was. Go back and read what I wrote, word-for-word.

12. Nov 1, 2015 #11
    So is it as easy as saying ##\frac{7t}{t^2} = \frac{7}{t} < \epsilon##??

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. Nov 1, 2015 #12
    EDIT:
    Only if you understand how you got there...

Solve the two inequalities in terms of ##t##:

##2t + 5 \leq 7t##

and

##\frac{1}{t^2 + 7} \leq \frac{1}{t^2}##

What relationship do you get for t in each one? What does ##\left\{x^t\right\}_{t=1}^{\infty}## dictate for t?

If ##A \leq B## and ##B < C##, then ##A < C##, yes?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  14. Nov 1, 2015 #13
    For the first one ##t \geq 1## and second one ##t > 0##. Where am I going with this??

15. Nov 2, 2015 #14
    So ##\frac{2t+5}{t^2+7} \leq \frac{7t}{t^2} = \frac{7}{t}## for ##t > 0##??

16. Nov 2, 2015 #15
    Perfect! That's very good. (except it's for ##t \geq 1##, look at post #13 again... And our sequence specifies valid values for t (also t > n, which is a natural number...). Is our inequality ever violated?)

And if we can show ##\frac{7}{t} < \epsilon##, then we know that ##\frac{2t+5}{t^2+7} < \epsilon##, right?

If ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, is ##(7 \times n) \in \mathbb{N}##, as well?
    If ##t > n## does it hold that ##7 \times t > 7 \times n##?

(Note: I will use lowecase n because I don't want to make it confusing between the variable and the set)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. Nov 2, 2015 #16
    Sorry, you were wrong in #13 and I didn't catch it. It's a minor error, but

##\frac{1}{t^2 + 7} \leq \frac{1}{t^2}##

##t^2 \leq t^2+7##

## 0 \leq 7##

thus, the second inequality is always true.

18. Nov 2, 2015 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One thing you're missing is that you don't need inequalities to hold for all ##t > 0##. If you are taking the limit ##t \rightarrow \infty## then you can look for inequalities that hold for large enough t. For example,

For ##t > 5## we have ##2t + 5 < 3t##

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  19. Nov 2, 2015 #18
    So ##t\geq 1##.

20. Nov 2, 2015 #19
    Not sure what u mean here.

21. Nov 2, 2015 #20
    I chose ##N > \frac{7}{\epsilon}## and we shall have if that ##t > N##, then $$\left|\frac{2t+5}{t^2+7}\right| < \epsilon.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted