1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent uniformly function

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    define function fn:[0,1]->R by fn(x)=(n^p)x*exp(-(n^q)x) where p , q>0 and
    fn->0 pointwise on[0,1] as n->infinite.,with the pointwise limit f(x)=0 ,and sup|fn(x)|=(n^(p-q))/e
    assume that ε is in (0,1)
    does fn converges uniformly on [1,1-ε]? how about on[0.1-ε]????

3. The attempt at a solution
    my idea is checking whether the pointwise limit f is continuous on the interval above,but it is obvious,then f is continuous ,so fn is uniformly convergent,but i thought it is wrong. can someone give me any idea?????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, that looks like a typo → does fn converge uniformly ... how about on[0.1-ε]. Shouldn't that be [0,1-ε] ?

As for the problem:

The answer to this question may depend upon the values of p & q, or at least upon the value of p-q .

Consider the supremum: of fn which is: [itex]\displaystyle\frac{n^{p-q}}{e}\ .[/itex]

At what value of x, does the supremum occur?

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

yes, i know that the supremum occur at 1/(n^q),which is always smaller or equal to 1, but whats the relation for this x value and the interval. i had proved that this function if p<q it is convergent uniformly on [0,1] ,if p>=q it is not uniformly convergent on [0,1] because the supremum goes to infinite. but i cannot see whats the different when i change the intevrval to [0,1-ε]..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook