Does the value of p-q affect the uniform convergence of fn on [0,1-ε]?

In summary, the given function fn converges pointwise to 0 on [0,1] as n approaches infinity, with a pointwise limit of f(x)=0. The supremum of fn is (n^(p-q))/e, which occurs at x=1/(n^q). The relation between this x value and the interval is that if p<q, the function is uniformly convergent on [0,1], but if p>=q, it is not uniformly convergent due to the supremum going to infinity. It is unclear how changing the interval to [0,1-ε] affects this result.
cummings12332

Homework Statement

define function fn:[0,1]->R by fn(x)=(n^p)x*exp(-(n^q)x) where p , q>0 and
fn->0 pointwise on[0,1] as n->infinite.,with the pointwise limit f(x)=0 ,and sup|fn(x)|=(n^(p-q))/e
assume that ε is in (0,1)
does fn converges uniformly on [1,1-ε]? how about on[0.1-ε]?

The Attempt at a Solution

my idea is checking whether the pointwise limit f is continuous on the interval above,but it is obvious,then f is continuous ,so fn is uniformly convergent,but i thought it is wrong. can someone give me any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
cummings12332 said:

Homework Statement

define function fn:[0,1]->R by fn(x)=(n^p)x*exp(-(n^q)x) where p , q>0 and
fn->0 pointwise on[0,1] as n->infinite.,with the pointwise limit f(x)=0 ,and sup|fn(x)|=(n^(p-q))/e
assume that ε is in (0,1)
does fn converge uniformly on [1,1-ε]? how about on[0.1-ε]?

The Attempt at a Solution

my idea is checking whether the pointwise limit f is continuous on the interval above,but it is obvious,then f is continuous ,so fn is uniformly convergent,but i thought it is wrong. can someone give me any idea?
First of all, that looks like a typo → does fn converge uniformly ... how about on[0.1-ε]. Shouldn't that be [0,1-ε] ?

As for the problem:

The answer to this question may depend upon the values of p & q, or at least upon the value of p-q .

Consider the supremum: of fn which is: [itex]\displaystyle\frac{n^{p-q}}{e}\ .[/itex]

At what value of x, does the supremum occur?

SammyS said:
First of all, that looks like a typo → does fn converge uniformly ... how about on[0.1-ε]. Shouldn't that be [0,1-ε] ?

As for the problem:

The answer to this question may depend upon the values of p & q, or at least upon the value of p-q .

Consider the supremum: of fn which is: [itex]\displaystyle\frac{n^{p-q}}{e}\ .[/itex]

At what value of x, does the supremum occur?
yes, i know that the supremum occur at 1/(n^q),which is always smaller or equal to 1, but what's the relation for this x value and the interval. i had proved that this function if p<q it is convergent uniformly on [0,1] ,if p>=q it is not uniformly convergent on [0,1] because the supremum goes to infinite. but i cannot see what's the different when i change the intevrval to [0,1-ε]..

What is a convergent uniformly function?

A convergent uniformly function is a type of mathematical function that converges to a single value as the input approaches infinity, while also maintaining a constant rate of convergence. This means that the function approaches its limit at a consistent rate, regardless of the value of the input.

How is a convergent uniformly function different from other types of convergent functions?

A convergent uniformly function is different from other types of convergent functions in that it must converge uniformly, which means that the rate of convergence must remain constant as the input approaches infinity. Other types of convergent functions may approach their limit at a varying rate.

What are some real-world applications of convergent uniformly functions?

Convergent uniformly functions are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth, continuous movements.

What is the role of continuity in a convergent uniformly function?

Continuity is an important aspect of a convergent uniformly function, as it ensures that the function remains well-defined and behaves predictably as the input approaches infinity. Without continuity, the function may not converge uniformly and may exhibit unexpected or erratic behavior.

What are some common techniques for proving the uniform convergence of a function?

There are several techniques for proving the uniform convergence of a function, including the Cauchy criterion, the Weierstrass M-test, and the comparison test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the function and its derivatives to determine if it meets the requirements for uniform convergence.