Converging Sequence Homework: Determine Limit & Explain

In summary: I don't think you can rationalize the function and get 1/n bigger.The Attempt at a SolutionI had the choice of deciding between the squeeze theorem and L'Hopital. L'Hopital seemed useless because I don't see a way to get this into the form of a quotient. I know the sequence is convergent to 0. Figured it would be best to try the Squeeze theorem, as it's really my only other option.I know that 0 \leq \sqrt{n^2+1}-n, but after struggling for a while, I still have no idea how to get a larger limit on the other side equal zero (
Lucretius

Homework Statement

Determine whether each of the sequences converges or diverges. If it converges, find its limit. Explain with sufficient details each claim.

Homework Equations

(k) [tex]a_n=\sqrt{n^2+1}-n[/tex]

The Squeeze Theorem (If [tex]b_n<a_n<c_n[/tex], and both [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}a_n, c_n = L[/tex], then [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}b_n=L[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I had the choice of deciding between the squeeze theorem and L'Hopital. L'Hopital seemed useless because I don't see a way to get this into the form of a quotient. I know the sequence is convergent to 0. Figured it would be best to try the Squeeze theorem, as it's really my only other option.

I know that [tex]0 \leq \sqrt{n^2+1}-n[/tex], but after struggling for a while, I still have no idea how to get a larger limit on the other side equal zero (without arbitrarily choosing one, 1/x for instance works, but there's no logical way to get from my function to 1/x...) I know that [tex]n+1>\sqrt{n^2+1}[/tex], but the result is n+1-n=1, and the limit of 1 is 1, period. Likewise, I can get rid of the 1, but I'll have n left over, and the limit of n is infinity! Got any good tips on getting the other side of the squeeze theorem inequality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucretius said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether each of the sequences converges or diverges. If it converges, find its limit. Explain with sufficient details each claim.

Homework Equations

(k) [tex]a_n=\sqrt{n^2+1}-n[/tex]

Multiply by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{n^2+1}+n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}+n}[/tex] and watch the magic.

You stated the Squeeze theorem incorrectly, but I suppose you know the correct statement. I don't know what you mean by there being "no logical way" to get 1/n, but if 1/n works, then it works, so what's the problem? 1/n converges to 0 as n goes to infinity, if you can prove that [itex]\sqrt{n^2+1}-n\leq n^{-1}[/itex] for all n, then you're done. There's an easier way in my opinion, but do it your way first, and once you have your own answer I can give you mine.

Ah thanks quasar; I should have thought of rationalization. I need to remember that everytime I see a square root...

When I meant "logical way" AKG, I meant that, just by looking at the equation, we can't conclude that 1/x is bigger always. I had to look at a calculator. I have to justify my choice for the boundaries of the squeeze theorem. However, quasar pointed out I could just rationalize the function and end up finding out that 1/n is bigger.

Lucretius said:
When I meant "logical way" AKG, I meant that, just by looking at the equation, we can't conclude that 1/x is bigger always.
No, but you should be able to prove it.

Related to Converging Sequence Homework: Determine Limit & Explain

What is a converging sequence?

A converging sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single fixed value as the sequence continues.

How do you determine the limit of a converging sequence?

The limit of a converging sequence can be determined by taking the value of the sequence as it approaches infinity. This can be done by finding the pattern in the sequence and extrapolating the next values in the sequence to see where it is heading.

What is the importance of determining the limit of a converging sequence?

Determining the limit of a converging sequence is important in mathematics and other scientific fields because it helps to understand the behavior and trends of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It also allows for the prediction of future values in the sequence.

What are some common methods for finding the limit of a converging sequence?

Some common methods for finding the limit of a converging sequence include using algebraic manipulation, using the squeeze theorem, and applying the ratio test or root test for series convergence.

What are some real-life applications of converging sequences?

Converging sequences have various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model population growth, predict stock market trends, and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits.