Converging Series Limit of pai: Proving Limit Not 1/2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a series that converges into the limit of pi and how to prove that the limit of a given series is not 1/2. The conversation also includes an example of simplifying an equation to make it easier to find the limit.
Abukadu
hi :)
Quick questions:

How can I write a series converging into the limit of pai ?

Prove that the limit of the series zz (n+2) / (2n² +1) zz is not 1/2 when n->infinity (and bigger than 1)

I came to the equation:
zz |(-2n² + 2n +3) / (2n² +1) | >= ε zz

(*)And I made the left expression smaller by enlarging the denominator and diminution the numerator:

zz |(-2n² + 2n) / (2n² +n) | >= ε zz
which is
zz |(-2n + 2) / (2n +1) | >= ε zz
and again.. (*)
zz |(-2n) / (2n +n) | >= ε zz
which is
zz |-2/3 | >= ε zz

and then I can choose ε = 2/3 ?
something dosent seem right ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Are those "zz"s suppose to delimit mathematical expressions? Please don't do that- especially not without explanation!

Abukadu said:
hi :)
Quick questions:

How can I write a series converging into the limit of pai ?

Prove that the limit of the series zz (n+2) / (2n² +1) zz is not 1/2 when n->infinity (and bigger than 1)
The simplest thing to do is to divide both numerator and denominator by n2 so that you get ((1/n)+ (2/n2))/(2+ (1/n)). Now you should be able to see that, as n goes to infinity, those fractions go to 0.

I came to the equation:
zz |(-2n² + 2n +3) / (2n² +1) | >= ε zz

(*)And I made the left expression smaller by enlarging the denominator and diminution the numerator:

zz |(-2n² + 2n) / (2n² +n) | >= ε zz
which is
zz |(-2n + 2) / (2n +1) | >= ε zz
and again.. (*)
zz |(-2n) / (2n +n) | >= ε zz
which is
zz |-2/3 | >= ε zz

and then I can choose ε = 2/3 ?
something dosent seem right ..

1) What is the definition of a converging series limit?

A converging series limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of numbers as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms approaches infinity.

2) How is the limit of pi related to the concept of a converging series limit?

The limit of pi is a specific example of a converging series limit. It is the value that the series of pi approaches as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. In this case, the series of pi is the infinite sum of the terms in the decimal representation of pi.

3) How is the limit of pi proven to not be 1/2?

The limit of pi is proven to not be 1/2 using mathematical techniques such as the Cauchy criterion or the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. These methods involve demonstrating that for any arbitrarily small value, there is a point in the series where the remaining terms will never sum to 1/2.

4) What is the significance of proving the limit of pi not to be 1/2?

Proving the limit of pi not to be 1/2 is significant because it provides evidence that the decimal representation of pi is not a repeating or terminating decimal. This has important implications for the mathematical concept of irrational numbers and our understanding of the universe.

5) Are there any real-life applications for understanding the converging series limit of pi?

Yes, there are several real-life applications for understanding the converging series limit of pi. One example is in the field of numerical analysis, where the limit of pi is used in algorithms for approximating the value of pi to a desired level of precision. Additionally, the concept of converging series limits is used in many areas of science and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.