Converging Series: Show Limit < 1

In summary, the problem asks to show the convergence of the series given by the sum of n=1 to n=infinity of [(n+1)/(n^2 +1)]^2. The attempt at a solution uses the comparison test to establish the convergence by comparing it to another convergent series and manipulating the expressions. It is shown that the series converges as the limit of the expression tends to 0. However, it is also noted that this is not a sufficient condition for the series to converge, and further steps may be needed to prove the convergence.
kmeado07

Homework Statement

Show that the following series converges:

Homework Equations

Sum of n=1 to n=infinity of [(n+1)/(n^2 +1)]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using the ratio test, so if the limit as n tends to infinity of a(n+1) / a(n) < 1, then a(n) - the series - would converge.
Once i put a(n+1)/a(n), i don't really know how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n+1}{(n^2+1)^2}[/tex]

I would try to use the comparison test to establish the convergence of this series. My first guess is that it is convergent, so i will try to compare it to another convergent series.

I would start off by noticing that:

[tex]n^3\leq n^4[/tex]

THen it is clear that:

[tex]n^3<n^4+2n^2+1=(n^2+1)^2[/tex]

One more step towards the answer:

Taking the reciprocal of the above we get:

[tex]\frac{1}{n^3}>\frac{1}{(n^2+1)^2}[/tex]

Now, all u need to do is multiply both sides of the inequality by n+1, try to manipulate a little bit the left side and justify ur answer.

I will stop here, and see whether u can get it done?

Last edited:
i know for the comparison test, you assume that a(n)<= k.b(n)
Then if b(n) is convergent, a(n) is also convergent.

However i still don't see how i can get my series to be <= to a constant times another series.

The comparison test says: Let [tex]\sum b_n,\sum a_n[/tex] be two series with positive terms.
(i) If [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] is convergent, and if [tex]a_n<b_n[/tex] for some n>N, then the series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] also converges.
(ii)If [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] divergent, and if [tex]b_n<a_n[/tex] for some n>N, then [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] is also divergent.

But, what u are saying there is also true, since if [tex]\sum b_n[/tex] converges, so does the series [tex]\sum k*b_n[/tex] where k is a constant.

kmeado07 said:
However i still don't see how i can get my series to be <= to a constant times another series.

As for this one, i just showed you in my 1st post.

We can't use sutupidmath's particular example for this one, as its the entire expression that is squared, not just the denominator =[

However the problem is still easily tackled. First, let's consider the expression under the squared sign. That expression is larger than the analoguous expression with only n in the numerator, ie the +1 omitted. Then, dividing all terms by n, we need that expression is [itex]1/( n + 1/n) [/itex]

After we square that, it becomes [itex]1/ (n^2 + f(n))[/itex] where f(n) are some positive terms. Hence, this expression is in turn larger than the series for [itex]1/n^2[/itex]. And we know that converges.

Gib Z said:
We can't use sutupidmath's particular example for this one, as its the entire expression that is squared, not just the denominator =[

Dang, i didn't see that!

with
[tex]\left[\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\right]^2[/tex]
You can still do the same thing. Divide both numerator and denominator inside the square by n2 and you get
[tex]\left[\frac{\frac{1}{n}+ \frac{1}{n^2}}{1+ \frac{1}{n^2}}\right]^2[/tex]
Now it should be clear that, while the numerator goes to 0 as n goes to infinity, the denominator goes to 1. The fraction goes to 0 and, because x2 is continuous, so does its square.

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{n+1}{(n^2+1)^2})=0 [/tex], so the series are convergent. If it wasn't equal to zero, than the series are divergent.

Regards.

Дьявол said:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{n+1}{(n^2+1)^2})=0 [/tex], so the series are convergent. If it wasn't equal to zero, than the series are divergent.

Regards.

Well, this is not quite true.

A necessary but not sufficient condition for a series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] to converge, is if [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_n=0[/tex]

A simple example is the harmonic series [tex]\sum\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

1/n -->0 as n-->infinity, but we know that the harmonic series diverges.

HallsofIvy said:
with
[tex]\left[\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\right]^2[/tex]
You can still do the same thing. Divide both numerator and denominator inside the square by n2 and you get
[tex]\left[\frac{\frac{1}{n}+ \frac{1}{n^2}}{1+ \frac{1}{n^2}}\right]^2[/tex]
Now it should be clear that, while the numerator goes to 0 as n goes to infinity, the denominator goes to 1. The fraction goes to 0 and, because x2 is continuous, so does its square.

Doesn't that only show that the sequence of terms converges? And that's not a sufficient condition for the series to converge too... To show that the series converges, shouldn't you show that the sequence of partial sums converges, i.e. it is bounded? I'm not sure how to do that in this case though.
I'm having trouble with the convergence of series myself, so I'm only asking.

Yes, but my point was that whatever "comparison" you get for [itex](n+1)/(n^2+1)[/itex], compare [itex][(n+2)/(n^2+1)]^2[/itex] to its square.

Certainly [itex](n+1)/(n^2+1)< 2n/(n^2+1)[/itex] and it is not too hard to show that [itex]n/(n^2+1)[/itex] itself is less than 2/n. That itself would not be enough to show that [itex](n+1)/(n^2+1)[/itex] itself converges because 2/n does not converge. But it does show that [itex][(n+1)/(n^2+1)]^2< 4/n^2[/itex] and [itex]4/n^2[/itex] does converge.

Related to Converging Series: Show Limit < 1

1. What is a converging series?

A converging series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series becomes closer and closer to a finite number as more terms are added.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent?

There are several methods for determining the convergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. What does it mean for a series to have a limit less than 1?

If a series has a limit less than 1, it means that as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity, the sum of the terms will approach a value that is less than 1. This indicates that the series is convergent and the sum of the terms will eventually reach a finite value.

4. How is the convergence of a series related to its limit?

The convergence of a series is directly related to its limit. If a series has a limit, it is a necessary condition for the series to be convergent. However, having a limit alone does not guarantee convergence, as the terms in the series must also behave in a certain way as the number of terms approaches infinity.

5. Can a series have a limit greater than 1?

No, a series cannot have a limit greater than 1 and still be convergent. This is because a limit greater than 1 would indicate that the sum of the terms in the series will continue to increase without ever reaching a finite value, meaning the series is divergent.