Conversion Factor for Flow Between Various Gases

• Thread starter redsox9887
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Gases
In summary, the conversion factor for converting Oxygen to Air and vice versa is based on the ratio of the molecular weights of the two gases. The square root term comes from the speed of sound in an ideal gas, which is dependent on the specific gas constant and the temperature. However, this only holds true if the two gases have the same value for the ratio of specific heats, which may not be the case for all gases.
redsox9887
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to understand how a certain flow conversion factor was reached. The factor is used to convert Oxygen to Air and vice versa. The source of this conversion factor states:

"The theoretical ratio of Air flow to Oxygen flow is as follows:

(Flow (Air))/(Flow (O_2 ) )=1.0512

1.0512= √(32/28.96)

Where... Molecular Weight of O_2 = 32.00 g/mol
Molecular Weight of Air = 28.96 g/mol"

Based off of the Ideal Gas Law it makes sense that the ratio of flows would be based off of the ratios of molecular weights. I am not sure where the square root term comes in though?

Some further information: I am measuring the flow rate through an orifice using air and now I am trying to find what the equivalent flow rate in oxygen would be. My temperature is the same for both gases, specified at 70°F. My upstream pressure is 69.7 psia and my downstream pressure is 14.7 psia. I am trying to find flow rate in LPM with a specified Temp and Pressure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It comes, most likely, from the fact that the speed of the sound in an ideal gas depends on, among other things, the square root of the specific gas constant. The speed of sound in an ideal gas is
[tex]a = \sqrt{\gamma R T}[/tex]
where ##R = \bar{R}/m## is the specific gas constant and ##m## is the molecular weight of the gas. So, naturally speaking, if you have two gases flowing at a constant Mach number, ##M=u/a##, then the velocity is ##u = Ma## and the ratio of the two velocities are
[tex]\dfrac{u_1}{u_2} = \dfrac{a_1}{a_2} = \dfrac{\sqrt{\gamma R_1 T} }{\sqrt{\gamma R_2 T}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{\gamma \bar{R} T} }{\sqrt{\gamma \bar{R} T}}\dfrac{m_2}{m_1} = \dfrac{m_2}{m_1}.[/tex]

Be careful here, though, because this all assumes that the gases have the save value for ##\gamma = c_p/c_v##, which is approximately true for air and oxygen since both are diatomic (or at least, with air, mostly diatomic), but is not true in general. For the case of, say, air and carbon dioxide, the value of ##\gamma## will change and so not only will the numerator and denominator above not cancel out so nicely, but the Mach number wouldn't be the same in the first place since the isentropic relations governing the flow involve various incarnations of that quantity.

What is a conversion factor for flow between various gases?

A conversion factor for flow between various gases is a numerical value that is used to convert the flow rate of one gas to the flow rate of another gas. It is based on the properties of the gases, such as density, viscosity, and molecular weight.

Why is a conversion factor necessary for flow between various gases?

A conversion factor is necessary because different gases have different properties, which affect their flow rates. In order to accurately compare and measure flow rates between different gases, a conversion factor is needed to standardize the units and account for the differences in properties.

How is a conversion factor determined?

A conversion factor is determined by conducting experiments and analyzing the properties of the gases. The conversion factor is calculated based on the ratio of the flow rates of the two gases and takes into account their individual properties.

Can a conversion factor be applied to all gases?

No, a conversion factor cannot be applied to all gases. It is specific to the two gases being compared and is based on their unique properties. Factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the accuracy of the conversion factor.

What are the units of a conversion factor for flow between various gases?

The units of a conversion factor for flow between various gases are typically expressed in terms of volume or mass, such as cubic feet per minute or kilograms per second. The specific units used depend on the properties being measured and the standard units for those properties.