Conversion of Light to a Energy or Force

In summary, the individual is attempting to convert a light source's intensity (measured in photons/cm^2/sec) into energy or force. They have tried using Planck's constant but are uncertain if this is the correct approach. They have a specific wavelength and are trying to calculate the energy or force for a light flash lasting 100 milliseconds with a stimulus intensity of 10^10.4 photon/cm^2/sec. They have searched for equations to use and have found information on calculating the energy of a photon, but are unsure how to apply this to their specific problem. They also mention trying to calculate force by multiplying the energy by the pathlength and time of the light stimulus.
mariosphysics
I am looking to convert a light source (photons/cm^2/sec) to a energy or force. I have tried using Planck's but I'm not sure if this is in the right direction.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mariosphysics! welcome to pf! :smile:

you'll need to know the wavelength :wink:

ok i have a wavelength at 530 nm. I am trying to calculate the energy or force for a light flash (100ms). And a stimulus intensity such as 10^10.4 photon/cm^2/sec.

Is this possible? I do not know where to start. I was trying to convert to candela. But I could not find any equations to use.

hi mariosphysics! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

google "energy of a photon" for lots of cool sites

for example, http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/energy-of-photon" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiny-tim,

I understand how to calculate the energy of the light now. But how can I calculate it for the light flash or stimulus intensity such as 10^10.4 photon/cm^2/sec.

Or when I calculate energy of a photon (E) and then divide by the stimulus intensity to get: Joules/cm^2/sec. Does this make sense?

and then to get force I can multiply by the pathlength and time of light stimulus?

thanks for your help

hi mariosphysics! :smile:

sorry, i don't see what you're getting at :confused:

can you give a specific problem as an example, and say what's worrying you about it?

Related to Conversion of Light to a Energy or Force

What is the process of converting light into energy or force?

The process of converting light into energy or force is known as photovoltaic conversion. It involves the use of special materials called semiconductors, which have the ability to convert light energy into electrical energy through a chemical reaction.

What types of light can be converted into energy or force?

Any type of light, including sunlight, artificial light, and even infrared and ultraviolet light, can be converted into energy or force using photovoltaic cells.

How efficient is the conversion of light into energy or force?

The efficiency of photovoltaic conversion can vary depending on the type of material used and the environmental conditions. However, on average, the efficiency ranges from 15-20%, with some advanced technologies reaching up to 40% efficiency.

What are the applications of converting light into energy or force?

The most common application of converting light into energy or force is in solar panels, which are used to generate electricity for residential and commercial buildings. It can also be used in smaller devices such as calculators and watches.

What are the current advancements in the conversion of light into energy or force?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new materials and technologies to improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of photovoltaic conversion. Some advancements include using perovskite materials and developing flexible and transparent solar cells.