Convert a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula?

In summary, there is no single way to convert the statement 'Nothing matters' into a mathematical formula without choosing a specific model. One possible way is to define a set \mathcal{M} as the set of things that matter, and then use a symbolic logic statement such as \forall x: x \! \in Things, \neg (\exists x \vee x \in Matters). However, there are many other possible ways to approach this problem and it ultimately depends on the model chosen.
phnud
Is it possible to convert the statement 'Nothing matters' to a formula?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no single "correct" way. In general, there is no way to change any non-mathematical statement into a mathematical equation (or other mathematical statement) without choosing a specific "model". And there are always an infinite number of ways of doing that.

Thanks for your response.

Can you possible steer me in the right direction for choosing a model? This is not my field. I am a writer briefly dipping his toe into an ocean of numbers.

phnud said:
Can you possible steer me in the right direction for choosing a model? This is not my field. I am a writer briefly dipping his toe into an ocean of numbers.

[tex]\mathcal{M}=\emptyset[/tex], where [tex]\mathcal{M}[/tex] is the set of things that matter.

Thank you, CRGreathouse.

I would prefer symbolic logic over sets to mathematics,

For all x: x is an element of Things, it is not true that there exists an x with property Matters.

[tex]\forall x: x \! \in Things, \neg (\exists x \vee x \in Matters)[/tex]

Besides, the upside down E's and A's are cool.

Phrak said:

I like it! They're very cool.

Phrak said:

Upside down E's ? :rolleyes:

Jarle said:
Upside down E's ? :rolleyes:

The existential operator typeset as an upside down 'E.

http://wapedia.mobi/math/XGV4aXN0c3t4fXtcaW59XG1hdGhiZntYfVwsIFAoeCk=
It is not a mirrored 'E. Note the position of the middle bar.
The Mathfont used in PF does not do this justice.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you convert a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula?

To convert a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula, you need to identify the key concepts and relationships within the statement and assign them mathematical symbols. You may also need to make assumptions or define certain terms in order to create a precise formula.

2. What are the benefits of converting a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula?

Converting a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula can help clarify and refine the statement, making it more precise and easier to understand. It also allows for the use of mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and evaluate the statement.

3. Can any philosophical statement be converted to a mathematical formula?

Not all philosophical statements can be easily converted to mathematical formulas. Some may be too abstract or complex to be accurately represented by mathematical symbols. However, many philosophical concepts can be expressed in mathematical terms.

4. Is there a specific method for converting a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula?

There is no one specific method for converting a philosophical statement to a mathematical formula. The process may vary depending on the statement and the goal of the conversion. However, it often involves breaking down the statement into smaller parts and assigning mathematical symbols to represent each part.

5. What are some examples of philosophical statements that have been successfully converted to mathematical formulas?

Some examples of philosophical statements that have been converted to mathematical formulas include Descartes' famous statement "I think, therefore I am" being represented as "P implies Q" in propositional logic, and Aristotle's principle of non-contradiction being represented as "¬(p ∧ ¬p)" in symbolic logic.