Converting Numbers to Base 10 in Mathematica: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, to convert a number from an arbitrary base to base 10 in Mathematica, use the syntax base^^digits. To print the number in a different base, use the function BaseForm[number, base]. It is recommended to check the built-in help files for further assistance with Mathematica.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've never really used Mathematica before so I'm rather confused by it, how would I say convert a number, 23a94b13 to base 10?

Physics news on Phys.org
To enter a number of an arbitrary base, use the syntax:

base^^digits

For example, to enter the hexadecimal number 1AD, use the notation 16^^1AD.

To print a number out in an arbitrary base (Mathematica normally uses decimal), use the BaseForm[number, base] function.

For example, to print that same number in binary, use BaseForm[16^^1AD, 2].

NB: Mathematica has very good built-in searchable help. Always start by checking the help files.

- Warren

Uber thanks, couldn't make sense of the help files.

1. How do I convert a number from one base to another in Mathematica?

To convert a number from one base to another in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function BaseForm. For example, to convert the number 10 from base 10 to base 2, you can use BaseForm[10,2] which will give the output 1010.

2. Can I convert a number with a decimal point to a different base in Mathematica?

Yes, you can convert numbers with decimal points to different bases in Mathematica using the BaseForm function. For example, to convert the number 3.5 from base 10 to base 2, you can use BaseForm[3.5,2] which will give the output 11.1.

3. Is it possible to convert a number in Mathematica without using the BaseForm function?

Yes, there are other ways to convert numbers in Mathematica without using the BaseForm function. For example, you can use the IntegerDigits function to convert a number to a list of digits in a specific base, and then use the FromDigits function to convert that list back to a number in a different base.

4. Can I convert a number from a non-standard base to base 10 in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the FromDigits function to convert a number from a non-standard base to base 10 in Mathematica. For example, to convert the number 1010 from base 2 to base 10, you can use FromDigits[1010,2] which will give the output 10.

5. How can I convert a number to a different base in Mathematica and display it in a specific format?

You can use the NumberForm function to convert a number to a different base and display it in a specific format in Mathematica. For example, to convert the number 10 from base 10 to base 2 and display it in scientific notation with 2 decimal places, you can use NumberForm[BaseForm[10,2],{2,2},ExponentFunction->(Null&)] which will give the output 1.01 x 10^1.