Convert equation of a line on a plane to R3 equation

In summary: However, if you already know that your parabola passes through the origin, you can use three points to determine the other parameters and thus the equation of the parabola.In summary, to determine the equation of a parabola in R3, you need at least four points. However, if the parabola passes through the origin, you can use three points to determine its equation.
swraman
Hi,

I have the equation of a plane P in R3.

I have an equation f(x) of a line that exists on that plane, using an arbitrary origin/axis on the plane.

I know the corresponding R3 coordinates of a point of f(x).

Intuition tells me that I have all the info I need to calculate the equation to the line in R3, but I don't know exactly how.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the origin/axis for f(x) known in terms of R3 coordinates? If so then you don't need the R3 coordinates of a point of f(x).

Alternatively if the origin/axis is not specified, then you need two points on the line. The plane equation is not needed.

mathman said:
Is the origin/axis for f(x) known in terms of R3 coordinates? If so then you don't need the R3 coordinates of a point of f(x).

Alternatively if the origin/axis is not specified, then you need two points on the line. The plane equation is not needed.

I have 3 points (in R3 coordinates) that the are on the function. It is aparabola, so I assume you need 3 points to construct.

so taking into consideration what you said, i guess my question is now:

how do you equation to a parabola in the form:

x(t)
y(t)
z(t)

from 3 points in R3?

Thanks

In general you would need four points to determine a parabola. The general quadratic curve has six parameters, but these are unique only up to a constant multiplier, leaving five free parameters. Making it a parabola imposes one condition, reducing the number of free parameters to four.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between an equation of a line on a plane and an equation of a line in R3?

The main difference is that an equation of a line on a plane has two variables (x and y) while an equation of a line in R3 has three variables (x, y, and z). This means that the line on a plane lies in a two-dimensional space, while the line in R3 lies in a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you convert an equation of a line on a plane to an equation in R3?

To convert an equation of a line on a plane to an equation in R3, you need to add an additional variable (z) and rewrite the equation in terms of all three variables. This means that the equation will now represent a line in a three-dimensional space.

3. What is the purpose of converting an equation of a line on a plane to an equation in R3?

Converting an equation of a line on a plane to an equation in R3 allows us to represent the line in a three-dimensional space, which can be useful in various applications such as 3D modeling, computer graphics, and physics.

4. Can any equation of a line on a plane be converted to an equation in R3?

Yes, any equation of a line on a plane can be converted to an equation in R3 by adding an additional variable and rewriting the equation in terms of all three variables. However, the resulting equation may not always have a unique solution in R3.

5. Are there any limitations to converting an equation of a line on a plane to an equation in R3?

One limitation is that the resulting equation in R3 may not always have a unique solution, meaning that the line may not have a unique representation in three-dimensional space. Additionally, the conversion may not be possible if the original equation of the line on a plane is not in a standard form (y = mx + b).