Convert y=x^2-1 & y=1-x^2 to Polar Functions?

In summary, to convert y=x^2-1 to a polar function, we can use the substitution method by substituting x=r cosθ and y=r sinθ into the equation and solving for r. The process for converting a rectangular function to a polar function involves substituting x=r cosθ and y=r sinθ, rearranging to solve for r, and replacing r with √(x^2 + y^2). The polar function for y=1-x^2 is r=sinθ. To graph polar functions, we can use a polar coordinate system and plot points using different values of θ. To convert polar functions to rectangular functions, we can substitute r=√(x^2 + y^2
Bendelson
Can y=x^2-1 or y=1-x^2 be converted to polar functions? I was attempting it and kept running into problems. If it's not possible, why not?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just substitute
x=r*cos(t)
x=r*Sin(t)

This gives an implicit polar equation. If you like, solve for r to get an explicit polar equation.

I was having trouble expressing it explicitly and solving for r or t

whate have you tried? It is quadratic in r, either use the quadratic formula or complete the square.

1. How do I convert y=x^2-1 to a polar function?

To convert y=x^2-1 to a polar function, we can use the substitution method. First, we substitute x=r cosθ and y=r sinθ into the equation. This gives us r^2 cos^2θ - 1 = r sinθ. Then, we can rearrange the equation to solve for r in terms of θ. Finally, we can replace r with √(x^2 + y^2) to get the polar function.

2. Can you explain the process for converting a rectangular function to a polar function?

The process for converting a rectangular function to a polar function involves substituting x=r cosθ and y=r sinθ into the equation, rearranging to solve for r, and then replacing r with √(x^2 + y^2). This converts the equation from rectangular coordinates (x and y) to polar coordinates (r and θ).

3. What is the polar function for y=1-x^2?

The polar function for y=1-x^2 is r=√(1-cos^2θ), or r=sinθ. This is derived by substituting x=r cosθ and y=r sinθ into the equation, and then solving for r.

4. How do I graph the polar functions for y=x^2-1 and y=1-x^2?

To graph polar functions, we can use a polar coordinate system with the angle θ on the x-axis and the radius r on the y-axis. To graph y=x^2-1, we can plot points by plugging in different values of θ and solving for r. For y=1-x^2, we can plot points using the same method. Then, we can connect the points to create the graph.

5. Can you convert these polar functions to rectangular functions?

Yes, we can convert polar functions to rectangular functions by substituting r=√(x^2 + y^2) and θ=tan^-1(y/x) into the polar equation. This will give us the rectangular equation in terms of x and y.