Bendelson Messages 5 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Nov 3, 2016 #1 Can y=x^2-1 or y=1-x^2 be converted to polar functions? I was attempting it and kept running into problems. If it's not possible, why not?
Can y=x^2-1 or y=1-x^2 be converted to polar functions? I was attempting it and kept running into problems. If it's not possible, why not?
lurflurf Homework Helper Messages 2,459 Reaction score 159 Nov 4, 2016 #2 Just substitute x=r*cos(t) x=r*Sin(t) This gives an implicit polar equation. If you like, solve for r to get an explicit polar equation.
Just substitute x=r*cos(t) x=r*Sin(t) This gives an implicit polar equation. If you like, solve for r to get an explicit polar equation.
Bendelson Messages 5 Reaction score 0 Nov 4, 2016 #3 I was having trouble expressing it explicitly and solving for r or t
lurflurf Homework Helper Messages 2,459 Reaction score 159 Nov 4, 2016 #4 whate have you tried? It is quadratic in r, either use the quadratic formula or complete the square.