Converting a series connected transfer function to the state space model

In summary: Your Name]In summary, it is common to encounter discrepancies in results when using different methods to solve a problem. Factors such as accuracy of state space models, order of connecting transfer functions, and potential mistakes in algebra can all contribute to differences in results. It is important to double check work and consult with others if needed to ensure accuracy.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Given transfer functions [itex] G(s) [/itex] and [itex] C(s) [/itex], find the state space models for those systems. Then find the state space model when they are connected in series
Relevant Equations
Transfer function
Hi,

I have a question about a homework problem: I am not sure why I do not seem to get the same answers when using different methods.

Question: Given transfer functions [itex] G(s) = \frac{s - 1}{s + 4} [/itex] and [itex] C(s) = \frac{1}{s - 1} [/itex], find the state space models for those systems. Then find the state space model when they are connected in series.

Attempt:
Intuitively I think that the following methods should both yield the same answer:
1) Find the state space models separately and then combine them in series
2) Combine the transfer functions in series and then convert to state space

however, these methods do not seem to give the same answer and I am unsure why.

Here is my attempt to convert [itex] G(s) [/itex] to a state space model.

Page1.jpg

and here is my working to convert [itex] C(s) [/itex]. The bottom of the page uses a general formulation of two state-space models to derive a formula for a state-space model of the series system. The first state space model (representing [itex] C(s) [/itex]) has no [itex] d_1 [/itex] just like [itex] C(s) [/itex]. I could have included it, but it would be 0 anyways.

Page2.jpg

The general formula derivation is continued and substituting values into the formula:
Page3.jpg
Page4.jpg

I am not sure why the two methods wouldn't give the same answer and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It is common to encounter discrepancies in results when using different methods to solve a problem. In this case, there are a few factors that could be contributing to the differences in your results.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that the state space models you are using are accurate representations of the transfer functions. It is possible that there may be a mistake in your conversion process, resulting in different state space models.

Secondly, when combining transfer functions in series, it is important to consider the order in which they are connected. This can affect the overall system and lead to different results.

Lastly, it is possible that there is a mistake in the algebra used to combine the state space models. I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

In general, it is always a good idea to check your work and try different methods to confirm your results. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend consulting with your instructor or a classmate for further assistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework problem!

1. How do I convert a series connected transfer function to a state space model?

To convert a series connected transfer function to a state space model, you will need to first rewrite the transfer function in a standard form. Then, use the coefficients from the standard form to construct the state space matrices. Finally, use the state space matrices to represent the system in state space form.

2. What is the advantage of using a state space model over a transfer function?

A state space model allows for a more general representation of a system, as it can handle non-linear and time-varying systems. It also allows for easier implementation of modern control techniques, such as state feedback and observer design.

3. Can a state space model be converted back to a transfer function?

Yes, a state space model can be converted back to a transfer function using the controllability and observability matrices. However, the resulting transfer function may not be in the same form as the original transfer function.

4. How do I determine the number of states in a state space model?

The number of states in a state space model is equal to the order of the system, which is the highest power of the denominator in the transfer function. For example, a transfer function with a denominator of s^3 will have 3 states in its state space model.

5. Can a state space model be used for both continuous and discrete systems?

Yes, a state space model can be used for both continuous and discrete systems. For continuous systems, the state space matrices are typically represented in terms of differential equations, while for discrete systems, they are represented in terms of difference equations.