1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting cartesian unit vectors to spherical unit vectors

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, it's all in the title. I just need to show that Gauss's theorem applies to this fluid flow and have converted all my (x,y,z) components to their respective (r,theta,phi) versions, but I can't remember the spherical counterparts of [tex]\hat{x}[/tex],[tex]\hat{y}[/tex],[tex]\hat{z}[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    Wouldn't it have been easier to look at the page you linked to and see that there is no direct conversion there than to assume that I didn't already do that and reply to my post?... maybe not. Thanks though.

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought you wanted [tex]\hat{r}, \hat{\theta}, \hat{\phi}[/tex]. I would call those the "spherical counterparts" of the cartesian basis vectors. What do you want?

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5
    You're right, I didn't word it very well. Here's what I was trying to compute:

[tex] \vec{u} \cdot d\vec{A}[/tex]

where

[tex] \vec{u} = (2xy^{2}+2xz^{2})\hat{x} + (x^{2}y)\hat{y} + (x^{2}z)\hat{z}[/tex]

and

[tex] d\vec{A} = r^{2}sin\theta d\theta d\phi \hat{r} [/tex].

I first converted the magnitudes of [tex]\vec{u}[/tex] to spherical coordinates, and what I intended to do was convert [tex] \hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z} [/tex] to spherical as well. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I ended up using [tex] \hat{r} = sin\theta cos\phi \hat{x} + sin\theta sin\phi \hat{y} + cos\theta \hat{z}[/tex], leaving the unit vecors in the cartesian basis.

But then when I tried to compute the scalar product I ended up with a virtually unintegratable expression. The left side of the equation (remember I was trying to show that Gauss' theorem holds over a spherical region [tex]a^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}[/tex]) came out to [tex]\frac{8}{3} \pi a^{5}[/tex].

Do you think I was setting it up right? I was thinking that I probably skrewed up some algebra while computing the dot product.

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are integrating over a sphere of radius a, then the normal vector is (x*xhat+y*yhat+z*zhat)/a. Does that suggest any simplifications? Sorry, it's kind of late here so I haven't really thought this through.

8. Jan 29, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another tip. Once you have your x,y,z expression for the integrand. You can choose the axis of the spherical coordinate system to point along any cartesian axis.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. May 10, 2009 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?