Converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in

In summary, the formula for converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in is: torque (Ft/in) = linear clamping force (lbs) x distance (in). The distance in the conversion formula refers to the length of the lever arm, measured in inches. This formula can be used for any type of clamping force as long as the units for force and distance are consistent. Converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in is commonly used in engineering and mechanical applications, such as calculating the torque required for tightening bolts and screws. The unit of measurement for torque Ft/in is typically foot-pounds per inch (Ft-lbs/in).
Rkaltz
I converted a clutch clamp to an air powered actuator. The clutch was limited to 1Ft/lb of torque. Is their a way to figure out how much torque I'm applying with an actuator? I have the pressure regulator set at 75 psi, the length of the clamp attached to the actuator is 5" x 3/4". Here is a picture of the actuator. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
31MgXqpuQEL.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the formula for converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in?

The formula for converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in is: torque (Ft/in) = linear clamping force (lbs) x distance (in).

2. How do I determine the distance in the conversion formula?

The distance in the conversion formula is the length of the lever arm. It is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. This distance is typically measured in inches.

3. Can the conversion formula be used for any type of clamping force?

Yes, the conversion formula can be used for any type of clamping force as long as the force and distance are measured in consistent units, such as pounds for force and inches for distance.

4. What are some common applications for converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in?

Converting linear clamping force to torque Ft/in is commonly used in engineering and mechanical applications, such as calculating the torque required to tighten bolts, screws, and other fasteners to a specific clamping force.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for torque Ft/in?

Yes, torque Ft/in is typically measured in foot-pounds per inch (Ft-lbs/in).