Converting nanometres and microns to millimetres

• Thread starter Cliff Hanley
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the conversion between metres and millimetres, with 1 micron being equal to 1 micrometre, and 1 micrometre being equal to 1 millionth of a metre. To convert from metres to millimetres, we multiply by 1000. Additionally, we went over the conversion between nanometres and metres, with 1 nanometre being equal to 1 billionth of a metre. To convert from metres to millimetres, we again multiply by 1000. It is worth noting that all conversions should be done by multiplying by 1, and it is helpful to think about which unit of measurement is smaller in order to determine the correct placement of the larger number.
Cliff Hanley
Member warned about posting homework questions w/o the template
Have I got the following correct;

1 micron = 1 micrometre

1 micrometre = 1 millionth of a metre

= 10^-6m

To convert m to mm we multiply m by 1000, eg, 1 m = 1 x 1000 therefore 1 m = 1000mm; 1000m = 10^6mm.

Therefore 1 micron = 10^-3mm (one millionth of a metre = one thousandth of a millimetre) ?

1 nanometre (nm) = 1 billionth of a metre = 10^-9m

To convert m to mm we multiply be 1000

Therefore 10^9m = 10^6mm (one billionth of a metre = one millionth a metre)

I am profoundly moved to learn that a mm can be divided into a thousand parts (a micron); and even more so that it can be divivded into a million parts (a nm). That’s assuming I’ve understood this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cliff Hanley said:
Have I got the following correct;

1 micron = 1 micrometre

1 micrometre = 1 millionth of a metre

= 10^-6m

To convert m to mm we multiply m by 1000, eg, 1 m = 1 x 1000 therefore 1 m = 1000mm; 1000m = 10^6mm.

Therefore 1 micron = 10^-3mm (one millionth of a metre = one thousandth of a millimetre) ?
Good so far.

Cliff Hanley said:

1 nanometre (nm) = 1 billionth of a metre = 10^-9m

To convert m to mm we multiply be 1000

Therefore 10^9m = 10^6mm (one billionth of a metre = one millionth a metre)
What you've just written is 1 billion metres = 1 million millimetres. Does that sound right to you?

You need to understand what the phrase "To convert m to mm we multiply be 1000" actually means. When we say this, we mean that we want to turn the value in metres into a value in millimetres. We go from m -> mm. We know that a factor of 1000 is involved between them, and that the mm is smaller than the m, so we need 1000mm = 1m.
If you ever aren't sure of where the 1000 or bigger number goes, just think which unit of measurement (m or mm for example) is smaller, because you always need more of those.

Cliff Hanley said:

I am profoundly moved to learn that a mm can be divided into a thousand parts (a micron); and even more so that it can be divivded into a million parts (a nm). That’s assuming I’ve understood this correctly.
Yes, and it keeps going from there with picometres, then femtometres, attometres etc. You can read about it on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(length)

All multiplications you do should be multiplications by 1. That's the only factor that won't change your value.

You can express "1" in a clever way, however, for example as ##1=\frac{1000mm}{1m}##. That is true as 1000mm = 1m.

To convert something like 4.5 m from meters to millimeters, just multiply by 1 (here done in more detail than necessary):
$$ 4.5 m = 4.5 m \cdot 1 = 4.5 m \frac{1000mm}{1m} = \frac{4.5 m \cdot 1000mm}{1m} = 4500 mm$$
as the meter cancels.

Likes Mark44
It works out quite well to treat notations like "m" and "mm" the same way you would treat variables that represent numbers. For example

\begin{align*}
&\mathrm{km}=10^3\,\mathrm{m},\qquad \mathrm m=10^{-3}\,\mathrm{km}\\
&\mathrm h=3600\,\mathrm s,\qquad \mathrm s=\frac{\mathrm h}{3600}\\
& 10\, \mathrm m/\mathrm s =\frac{10\mathrm m}{\mathrm s} =\frac{10\cdot(10^{-3}\mathrm{km})}{\frac{\mathrm h}{3600}} =(10\cdot 10^{-3})\mathrm{km}\frac{3600}{\mathrm h} =\frac{36\,\mathrm{km}}{\mathrm h} =36\,\mathrm{km}/\mathrm h.
\end{align*}

1. What is the difference between nanometres and millimetres?

Nanometres (nm) and millimetres (mm) are both units of length measurement in the metric system. The main difference between the two is their size, with a nanometre being much smaller than a millimetre. One millimetre is equal to 1,000,000 nanometres.

2. How do I convert nanometres to millimetres?

To convert nanometres to millimetres, you can use the following formula: millimetres = nanometres ÷ 1,000,000. For example, if you have a length of 500 nanometres, the conversion would be 500 ÷ 1,000,000 = 0.0005 millimetres.

3. What is the relationship between microns and nanometres?

Microns (µm) and nanometres (nm) are both units of length measurement in the metric system. One micron is equal to 1,000 nanometres. This means that microns are larger than nanometres, with 1 micron being equal to 0.001 millimetres.

4. How do I convert microns to millimetres?

To convert microns to millimetres, you can use the following formula: millimetres = microns ÷ 1000. For example, if you have a length of 200 microns, the conversion would be 200 ÷ 1000 = 0.2 millimetres.

5. Why is it important to have an understanding of these conversions?

Having an understanding of these conversions is important for scientists because many scientific instruments and measurements use nanometres and microns as units of measurement. Being able to convert between these units allows for accurate and consistent data analysis and communication among scientists. It also allows for a better understanding of the scale of objects being studied, as nanometres and microns are often used to measure very small particles or structures.