Converting Polar to Rectangular

In summary, the conversion from polar form to rectangular form can be done by using the equations r = 4*sin(theta)*cos(theta) and r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and manipulating them to get the desired form.
courtrigrad
Hello

If you have [itex] r = 2\sin(2\theta) [/itex], how would you convert it to rectangular form? I tried doing this:

[itex] \sin(2\theta) = 2\sin\theta\cos\theta [/itex] which means [itex] r = 4\sin\theta\cos\theta [/itex]. Then I know that [itex] r^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2} [/itex]. We know that [itex] x = r\cos\theta, y = r\sin\theta [/itex]. But then I have a circular argument, where I end up with [itex] y^{2} = y^{2} [/itex]. This means that I have to use another conversion factor. Should I use [itex] \sin\theta = \frac{y}{r} [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, you're trying to write [itex] r = 4\sin\theta\cos\theta [/itex]
in terms of x and y now that you have [itex] \sin\theta = \frac{y}{r} [/itex]
and [itex] \cos\theta = \frac{x}{r} [/itex] just make the substitutions and you should have no problem getting the answer

Thank you kindly for your response.
I 'think' I get the mechanics of it but me and the old voyage 200 are at differences about the answer when doing sample problems.

Example:
let's uses (-2,8),(3,5) as an example.

This what I get for AxB when done manually.

(3,5),(-2,8)
3^2+5^2=r^2
9+25=r^2
√34=r
5.8301=r
then:
toa: tan^(-1)⁡(3/5)=30.964^o
do the same to coordinate #2
-2^2+8^2=r^2
4+16=r^2
√20=r
4.47214=r
then:
toa: tan^(-1)⁡((-2)/8)=-14.036^o
we have:
(5.8301,30.964^o ),(4.47214,-14.036^o )
note: To cross product we need the sin of the angle between the two point. AKA, absolute value
30.964^o+14.036^o=44.73^o
For cross product A ⃗xB ⃗:
5.8301*4.47214 sin⁡44.73 n
18.3493 which is different from the calculator
Voyage 200

crossP([3,5],[-2,8]) = [0. 0. 34.]

Whom is incorrect, me or the calculator?
Why are the answers so different?

bcddd214 said:
Thank you kindly for your response.
I 'think' I get the mechanics of it but me and the old voyage 200 are at differences about the answer when doing sample problems.

Example:
let's uses (-2,8),(3,5) as an example.

This what I get for AxB when done manually.

(3,5),(-2,8)
3^2+5^2=r^2
9+25=r^2
√34=r
5.8301=r
then:
toa: tan^(-1)⁡(3/5)=30.964^o
do the same to coordinate #2
-2^2+8^2=r^2
4+16=r^2
√20=r
4.47214=r
then:
toa: tan^(-1)⁡((-2)/8)=-14.036^o
we have:
(5.8301,30.964^o ),(4.47214,-14.036^o )
note: To cross product we need the sin of the angle between the two point. AKA, absolute value
30.964^o+14.036^o=44.73^o
For cross product A ⃗xB ⃗:
5.8301*4.47214 sin⁡44.73 n
18.3493 which is different from the calculator
Voyage 200

crossP([3,5],[-2,8]) = [0. 0. 34.]

Whom is incorrect, me or the calculator?
Why are the answers so different?

I high lighted one line in your answer. Should that be 3/5 or 5/3 ?

Both the scalar product and the cross product can be calculated from the components directly. Check your notes.
If vector a is (ax, ay) and vector b is (bx,by) the magnitude of the cross product axb is axby-aybx, and it is parallel to the z axis.

You also can calculate it on that complicated way you tried. There is a mistake when calculating the magnitude of b:
-2^2+8^2=r^2
4+16=r^2
the square of 8 is 64. :-p

ehild

PeterO said:
I high lighted one line in your answer. Should that be 3/5 or 5/3 ?

Well, 5 = x or your adjacent, no?

ehild said:
Both the scalar product and the cross product can be calculated from the components directly. Check your notes.
If vector a is (ax, ay) and vector b is (bx,by) the magnitude of the cross product axb is axby-aybx, and it is parallel to the z axis.

You also can calculate it on that complicated way you tried. There is a mistake when calculating the magnitude of b:
the square of 8 is 64. :-p

ehild

I do it the REALLY long way first to understand the mechanics and then jump to formulas.
But, you single handedly answered both my question and my next question which would have been the express route.

Now I understand both.

Thank you kindly!

courtrigrad said:
Hello

If you have [itex] r = 2\sin(2\theta) [/itex], how would you convert it to rectangular form? I tried doing this:

[itex] \sin(2\theta) = 2\sin\theta\cos\theta [/itex] which means [itex] r = 4\sin\theta\cos\theta [/itex]. Then I know that [itex] r^{2} = x^{2} + y^{2} [/itex]. We know that [itex] x = r\cos\theta, y = r\sin\theta [/itex]. But then I have a circular argument, where I end up with [itex] y^{2} = y^{2} [/itex]. This means that I have to use another conversion factor. Should I use [itex] \sin\theta = \frac{y}{r} [/itex]?

in

r=4*sin(theta)*cos(theta)

multiply 2 sides by r**2
to get

r**3=4*x*y

r=sqrt(x**2+y**2)
r**3=(x**2+y**2)**(3/2)

Related to Converting Polar to Rectangular

1. What is the formula for converting from polar to rectangular coordinates?

The formula for converting polar coordinates (r, θ) to rectangular coordinates (x, y) is x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ.

2. How do I graph polar coordinates on a rectangular coordinate system?

To graph polar coordinates on a rectangular coordinate system, first plot the point (r, θ) using the formula x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ. Then, draw a line from the origin to the point (x, y) to represent the vector with magnitude r and direction θ.

3. What is the difference between polar and rectangular coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a distance (r) and angle (θ) to locate a point, while rectangular coordinates use x and y coordinates. Polar coordinates are useful for describing circular or symmetrical patterns, while rectangular coordinates are better for graphing complex shapes.

4. How do I convert from rectangular to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). Note that θ may need to be adjusted based on which quadrant the point is in.

5. Can polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, both the distance (r) and angle (θ) can be negative in polar coordinates. Negative values for r indicate a point on the opposite side of the origin, while negative values for θ indicate an angle in the opposite direction from the positive x-axis.