How is pressure converted to force in a large enclosed surface area?

• Thread starter mjacobs535
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Psi
In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to calculate the force applied to a large surface area based on a known pressure measurement. They provide an example of 1.7" water column at 1560 F in a chamber measuring 15ft x 10ft x 65ft. They also mention the relationship between pressure, force, and surface area using the example of a 12" cube and a 36" cube both pressurized at 1 psi. The speaker is questioning whether the larger surface area would have less force at the same pressure, and the other person explains that a larger surface area will produce more force due to the same pressure being distributed over a larger area.
mjacobs535
I have a "process" that creates approx. 1.7" of water column throughout a large enclosed surface area, at temperatures ranging from 1500 to 2250 F. I am trying to show the actual force applied to the shell over a large surface area from the known measurment of pressure. For instance, I have 1.7" water column, at 1560 F, in a chamber approx. 15ft x 10ft x 65ft. how can I show the force applied to the entire shell?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mjacobs535 said:
I have a "process" that creates approx. 1.7" of water column throughout a large enclosed surface area, at temperatures ranging from 1500 to 2250 F. I am trying to show the actual force applied to the shell over a large surface area from the known measurment of pressure. For instance, I have 1.7" water column, at 1560 F, in a chamber approx. 15ft x 10ft x 65ft. how can I show the force applied to the entire shell?

F = P * A
F Force
P Pressure
A Area

NUCENG said:
F = P * A
F Force
P Pressure
A Area
I understand that, what I am trying to understand is, if you have for instance 1 psi in a 12" cube, is the outward exerted force less than that of a 36" cube with 1 psi? It seems that the larger area would have less force than the smaller area at the same pressurization.

F=P*A

Take 2D:
1*(12)^2 = 144 lb of force
1*(36)^2 = 1296 lb of force

Pressure is the result of force over an area. If you have more square inches, you need more pounds.

For 3d just multiply by 6
12" cube pressurized to 1psi has 864 lb of force.
36" cube pressurized to 1psi has 7776 lb of force.

mjacobs535 said:
I understand that, what I am trying to understand is, if you have for instance 1 psi in a 12" cube, is the outward exerted force less than that of a 36" cube with 1 psi? It seems that the larger area would have less force than the smaller area at the same pressurization.

Think of a sailboat. A larger sail area produces more force at the same wind speed. Two containers at equal pressure and different surface areas will produce more force on the container with the larger surface area. The pressures (force per unit area) are the same but the areas are different so the total force is different.

1. How do I convert PSI to force?

To convert PSI (pounds per square inch) to force, you need to multiply the PSI by the area in square inches. This will give you the force in pounds (lbs).

2. Can you provide an example of converting PSI to force?

Sure, let's say you have a pressure of 50 PSI and an area of 10 square inches. To convert PSI to force, you would multiply 50 by 10, which equals 500 lbs of force.

3. What are the units for PSI and force?

PSI is a unit of pressure, specifically pounds per square inch. Force is measured in pounds (lbs).

4. Is there a formula for converting PSI to force?

Yes, the formula for converting PSI to force is force (lbs) = PSI x area (in²).

5. Can I use a calculator to convert PSI to force?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert PSI to force as long as you have the value for both PSI and area in square inches.